Author Topic: iota vs civic for charging  (Read 1631 times)

cardamon

iota vs civic for charging
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
So The other day I needed to charge the batteries a bit so I go to fire up the 6kw gas generator when  I remember that its in several pieces cuz Im fixing the pull start.  So I drive the '91 honda civic to the window and get out the jumper cables.  Turns out I get about the same amount of current, 30 in the beginning going down to low 20's, as I do using the genset and an iota charger which gets me thinking: which uses more gas?  10 HP fairly unrefined briggs running at 3600 rpm, or nice quiet honda auto engine with about five times the displacement running at 900 rpm?  Guesses anyone?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:34:05 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: iota vs civic for charging
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »
You only need about 10 HP to go 60 MPH in a modern aerodynamic car like your Civic.

When the Civic is ideling it is producing only a few HP. You'll shorten the life of your alternator using it to charge your batteries, though. In the long run having a ride may be more valuable than saving a little fuel by not running the genset.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:12:09 PM by dnix71 »

cardamon

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »
So your vote is for the civic?  The civic is up for inspection anyway and wont pass so it may get demoted to charge duty, until the price of scrap goes back up anyway.  It would be nice if there were 4 cylinder auto-ish engines available but smaller.  There would be if the auto makers (and consumers) would wake up and make (demand) smaller engines.  The engine in the insight was a start, 60 mpg highway not even using electric - small efficient engine.  Crazy how the smallest 'mainstream' thing you can get in the US is probably still 1.5 liters.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:31:28 PM by cardamon »

rossw

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »
When I built my new place (started back in Jan/2004) I was unable to find any commercially available CHP unit suitable. It's a long story, but thats the short version.

Anyhow, not to be put off, I built one. The design spec was that it should use "off the shelf" parts so I could maintain it, I wanted to get heat out of it for hot water and heating the house, it had to run from propane (I can't touch diesel or petrol any more - another long story), had to be remote/auto start, stop and monitored, and produce a decent, clean, stable 50Hz 240V output. It had to last at least 5 years - thats about the time I "expected" PEM/Fuelcell solutions would be viable. (ok, so I got that wrong!)

In hindsight, I still regret not getting a little rotary, but did get a 1.5 litre or thereabouts, 4-cylinder, double overhead cam, 16 valve engine from a little ford. Removed all the computer and electronics, stripped all the fuel injection off. Performed basically a LPG conversion (single fuel mixer before the throttle and inlet manifold). Replaced the fancy distributor with a more conventional one (electronic points) and coil. Added oxygen sensor, Lambda control and little gas valve in the line to maintain optimum air-fuel ratio regardless of load. Added sensor and linear actuator to the throttle butterfly to maintain the right engine speed. Built a controller to do all the remote start, stop, sequencing, monitoring of oil pressure, temperature etc, and record run hours, starts etc.

Stripped off the waterpump, the alternator and everything else that wasn't required. Added an external oil reservoir (went from 4 litres oil capacity to 10 litres - longer time between services)

Got an old industrial heat exchanger (tube in tube type) for scrap value, milled the end caps and adapted it to pass the exhaust through it to recover most of that energy.

Used a grundfos electric pump (up to 60 litres/minute) to circulate coolant through the exhaust heat exchanger, then through the block and out to my 4000 litre hot water storage.

A 1500 RPM, 14KVA, 3phase generator with AVR was coupled using a large toothed belt (timing belt, as used on drag cars for the blowers).

This thing isn't the most fuel efficient beast in the world, but it works well enough. If there was a smaller, cheap, efficient, quiet, readily available engine, I'd do this all over again using it!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:41:40 PM by rossw »

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »
cardamon-

this is fairly off-topic, but if you want your civic to pass emissions, try a half quart of denatured alcohol to ten gallons of premium gas.  it has worked for me and many of my friends.  this won't make a vehicle with say a blown head gasket pass, but will pass vehicles that are maybe just a little out of tune.  

the charging of your batteries is something i cannot give advice on however.  good luck!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:34:32 PM by birdhouse »