Author Topic: Battery Bank - configuration  (Read 2586 times)

Goahead

Battery Bank - configuration
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:48:22 AM »
Hi Everyone

Im finishing my 10ft 24V otherpower style wind turbine...hope it will be up in 2 months.

Just got free AGM battery from telecom company..yep..free :) more to come next year.

http://www.fieldlines.com/images/scimages/8828/Battery_Pack.JPG

Thinking of using only the Marathon ones (10 x 50Ah = 250Ah 24V)

I can get more (16x) sprinter 26Ah if i want but then, some questions got into my mind.

1- What will happen when i mixe them all: (10 x 50Ah, 4 x 26Ah, 2 x 16Ah, 1 x 85Ah)?

Charging problems?

2- They all need to be charged (actually i read 12.4Volts) how? together or seperatly?

3- Dont want to buy a AGM,Gel charger...i have 12V 4 Amp transformer...does anyone has a schematic for a charger with trickle function?...i have 3x bq2031 if usable.

http://www.fieldlines.com/images/scimages/8828/Battery_storage.JPG

sorry fo my paint skills...

4- Can i build a cabine like this? Are connections ok using bus bar?

5- What type of material for that bus-bar?(iron ok?)

Any help would be great..especially if someone can provide a schematic for AGM simple charger.

Sorry for my poor english

Kind regards from Portugal

Goahead

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:48:22 AM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: Battery Bank - configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
Goahead,

General wisdom: do not to mix batteries.

Then we have reality.

Value of mixing batteries will be based on how much storage you need.

In other words, if you don't have to mix them, then don't!!

Any chance your system can be split? Each using one battery type?

Bulk charging of flooded cell, AGM, Gel are similar, finishing them off for long life is the difference.

Check the charging profiles of each, bit different at the end.

How often the end of charging is reached will impact how long the batteries last.

Bus bars: all military batteries I worked on used bus bars. My battery has bus bars.

Make sure you cover/insulate the bus bars. Don't want to drop a tool on it and see it explode!

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:41:20 PM by scottsAI »

Goahead

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
Hi Scott

How can i calculate de storage i need? triky question i know.

I would prefer to ask on a average windsite, how much storage should i have for a 10ft machine?..then again..what about comsuption i will have at home!

Great sugestion..I better protect the bus bar.

I have the charging profile for each cell/battery..but should i use this schematic?

http://www.aaroncake.net/CIRCUITS/charger2.asp

Before i put them on a cabinete with all them connected to 24V, should i charge them one by one?or just put them in service all at once?

Actually all of them are in diferent state of charge.

This may be stupid questions..but as a newby, i would love some guidence.

What would you do if you had those batteries? (step by step :-))

Thx in advance

Goahead

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:35:15 AM by Goahead »

scottsAI

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
Goahead,

Answer entails understanding your goals, resources, environment etc.

Goals: Grid or off grid? Wind only or PV, what is your backup generator?

How much power is used by your home etc.

Safest if Batteries are fully charged before connecting together. Each battery must be at the same voltage so no current flows when connected. Charged is the easiest way to verify it.

Since you cant use them now, charged is the best state to store.

Next read all the stories on otherpower. With the basics covered you can better direct your goals. Then ask more questions! Just like you have been doing while building the wind turbine.

You have two months before wind turbine is up. Rainy day material. More questions.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:29:52 PM by scottsAI »

hayfarmer

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
Hello,I too had the same type of situation ,good deal on batteries of different age.

but first here is a site where you can get great  buss bars at a fraction of cost,I would not use anything but copper.this guy bones old telco co,s and buy the parts and sells them on line.you may have to check back at his site to catch them in stock.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Jake-s-old-Western-Electric-Stuff__W0QQ_armrsZ1

hers is a pic of one I bought 1/4 inch thick copper for 29 bucks plus shipping I mounted it on a red and white back board.

http://www.fieldlines.com/images/scimages/16067/buss_bar.jpg

this is a 48 volt site that has all battery condition was same but at my other site I have same type of battery 500 a.h. on a 12 volt  buss, I connected 2  12.88 volt and higher bats to buss bar,then connected  a 12.55 and 12.87 and 12.92 in parallel

than connected to the bus bar and strings seemed to hold charge better than when they were separated .

It is best to have same date batteries but never look a gift horse in the mouth.

More power to you,and do make a cover for the buss bar or magic smoke and FIRE can happen.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:58:04 PM by hayfarmer »