Author Topic: Charging Older T105's  (Read 2903 times)

ravenswings

Charging Older T105's
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:20:20 AM »
Have older T105's in a set of 24, wired in series of 4 for use with trace 2440 inverter...lately, charging doesn't last. Charging from generator peaks early and drops fast, it seems. Do i need to reset input amps higher or lower to help batteries get a longer lasting charge.

Batteries haven't been equalized for a few years..to do so, can l do all of them at once with a 6500 Honda or do they need to be done in sets?

Volvo farmer

Re: Charging Older T105's
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
Six parallel strings?  That might lead to problems. Things are likely to get out of balance, and equalizing the whole mess together isn't going to fix that.

I'd equalize each string separately, then go through all the batteries with a hydrometer and a voltmeter and check for bad/weak cells.
Less bark, more wag.

ravenswings

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »
Checking several of the cells proved to be what l had guessed, many barely tickled the needle on the hyydrometer, even after charging. So, the bank will be replaced...after nearly 10 years of faithful and satisfactory service, the old T105's get to retire.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »
Might find a couple are still passable for a separate bank?

24 is a slew of batteries.
Might consider upsizing the new bank to something like L-16s or L-16HCs.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »
What about the other ones - that might be okay?
Why not try picking the "good ones", charging them together as a set, the equalizing them, adding water, floating them out for a while, and see what you've got then?
Like Ghurd says, before you throw it all away, perhaps some of it is still "good enough" for some other purpose.
Ten years is a ripe old age, of course...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »
Ten years is a ripe old age, of course...

Darn right.
Stories like these make me feel less crazy when I say how old the T-105s at the shop are.

If 1 in 6 are OK, that still leaves something usable, for something?
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Volvo farmer

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:40:16 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He could toss 4 of the worst batteries and still have 5/6 of his original storage.
Less bark, more wag.