Author Topic: For nothing to lose  (Read 1482 times)

finnsawyer

For nothing to lose
« on: September 28, 2004, 09:28:29 AM »
I CAN'T comment directly to a posting.  Anyway, your situation is certainly curious.  Six years is too short a time for the pump to go bad.  Say, was there a warranty?  A build-up of sediment in the well could affect the pump.  On the other hand excessive pumping in your area may be depleting the aquifer.  At the start you had an excellent artesian well at 20 gal/min with water rising to 100 ft from the surface.  So, something has changed.  I'd venture to guess that your well has a high volume (relatively) low lift pump.  As the maximum water level falls the pump performance will be degraded.  The solution is to get a high lift lower volume pump (more impeller stages).  I've got a deep (270 ft) low yield well.  The well driller installed a high volume type pump too close to the bottom.  It failed due to sediment build-up.  I replaced it myself (yes it can be done) with the high lift type pump.  As it happens, you can find pumps at some retailers (Menards in my area).  Their standard pumps, which cost about $300, are low lift.  I had to order the high lift as a special order at a cost of $500.  My advice would be (sans warranty) to pull the pump and find out where the water level is (a piece of wood on a line, for example).  Then go from there.  By the way, I'd love to have 2.5 gal/min.

If you want to get off the grid what's wrong with a small gas generator to power the pump?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 09:28:29 AM by (unknown) »