Author Topic: Hydro Power  (Read 2271 times)

Nick5065

Hydro Power
« on: November 24, 2007, 05:52:32 PM »
I have a year round creek that I use for irrigation.  I run the creek into a 1,500 gallon storage tank which outlets to a 3 inch water line that drops 50 feet elevation to house.

My questions are:  Is it possible that I could use the same water source since there is alot of pressure that comes down into this line to use as a power source?

Any information or ideas would be truly appreciated.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 05:52:32 PM by (unknown) »

etownlax

Re: Hydro Power
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »
I don't know much about Hydro power but I do know you'll deffenitly will need to know how much water flows in a minute or hour. That way you or others can then determine if this is even a possible source of energy. With 50 feet though. A little flow can go a long way specially if it runs 24/7.

So conclusion... Need a little more information.

-Randy

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:19:15 AM by etownlax »

ebby1234

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
Look on my website allternativeenergysuppliesuk.com there are some turbines on there to give you ideas
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:45:04 AM by ebby1234 »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »
I haven't built anything yet, but based on what I've read...

I seem to remember needing about 100 feet of head to make a turbine useful. With low head, you'd be stuck with some type of wheel.

50 feet of head is right about where you could get some useful work from a Pelton or Turgo.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/5/28/132256/790

Did you want to charge a battery (if so, what voltage?), or use the electricity directly? One of the benefits of hydro is that when it's "on" it can provide a steady flow.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:39:38 PM by spinningmagnets »

Ganderwings

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »
Hello Nick,

You wrote: "since there is alot of pressure that comes down into this line"

I take you are talking about the pressure above the storage tank or perhaps your 50 foot 3" line? In any case it is obvious that every foot counts in hydro power.

I would hike up the hill along the creek and count my footage 'til my wallet says stop. Then I figure the hydro head and definitely would use a most efficient crossfolw turbine for the job. Also remember the higher you go the more water volume the 3" line is sucking, hence it will depend on the water volume of the creek and head incl. friction which would give you the size of the penstock.

Punch in my website or erwin badertscher click index just below the picture and choose. My Crossflow designs and how to calculate the size of runner and blades you'll find in the Alternative energy page.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:37:30 PM by Ganderwings »

bigdan

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 08:07:21 PM »
Hello Nick, A few questions first. How large is creek? How much total fall in feet could you use? Three inch line full of water has some possibilities,but a 4,5,or 6,etc inch full of water would have much more generating power. More information, pictures, etc. would help get the answer you want.Picture or two might help.

You do have a possible source of power. Good Luck and Have Fun.Bigdan

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:07:21 PM by bigdan »

Warren

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 09:30:20 PM »
Hello,

As mentioned in the other comments, you need to find the total elevation drop, the length of line, diameter of line and the flow rate.

There is a spread sheet, either turgo.xls or pipedp.xls at http://h-hydro.com/turgo_drive.html which will calculate all the rest of the numbers to give you an idea of the power available.

Warren

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:30:20 PM by Warren »

alibro

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 03:17:58 AM »
Why not build a wooden water wheel 6 or 7 feet diameter and let gravity do the work?

Alibro

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 03:17:58 AM by alibro »

feral air

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:45:37 PM »
As mentioned in the other comments, you need to find the total elevation drop, the length of line, diameter of line and the flow rate.

As Nick already stated, the drop in elevation is 50ft and the pipe is 3" in diameter. All he needs to add (apparently) is the pipe length and the flow rate.

Nick, it sounds like the water coming down the pipe is used for irrigation so what you can do, and the energy you can extract, may be limited...

If you have sprinklers then they probably need a fair amount of pressure to work - if you extract too much energy then the sprinklers will just dribble. If you use "sweat" style hose you'd need some pressure too. If you use that flat hose with holes in it then you'd probably be fine but it may not shoot out anymore.

It may be better to leave the current system alone and install a second just for power. Especially if you can get more elevation or if it would take a new irrigation setup. Maybe.

That said, INAHG! (I'm Not A Hydro Guy) take it easy

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:45:37 PM by feral air »

byndhlpng

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
duckrunner.com has plans for building a waterwheel.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:24:33 PM by byndhlpng »