Author Topic: going from one to many  (Read 1312 times)

drteknikal

going from one to many
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:47:53 PM »
First, let me sound the newbie warning. I've been looking at the wind generator project in the current issue of Make, and I'm looking to build one. Actually, if it works out, I'd be looking to build several.

Here's my dilemma. Everything I've seen so far is very clear on how to connect a single wind generator to controller and batteries, but what I haven't seen is anything where more than one wind generator is connected. With solar, there seems to be an assumption that everything will be done in parallel to support a number of panels, but what I've seen with wind (so far) is all single generators connected to single controllers.

Can someone point me at resources that explain how to connect multiple wind generators to a single back-end system? Say I wanted to build 24 of the same project and wire them together. How would I do that?

I'm hoping this is a simple answer that's just beyond my introduction so far. I don't need a step-by-step, but a nice block wiring diagram with labeled components would probably answer my questions.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 04:47:53 PM by (unknown) »

drteknikal

Re: going from one to many
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:49:29 AM »
This is the third time I've posted this. I don't understand why, but the first two disappeared. Maybe I don't understand the software, but I've reposted again.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 09:49:29 AM by drteknikal »

kitno455

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:33:31 AM »
the admins have decided (without telling you) that they think your question is answered by doing a bit of google searching. it is their way of keeping the board clean of duplicate posts.

allan

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:33:31 AM by kitno455 »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 10:34:22 AM »
never tried this before hope it works

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/12/30/163123/30
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:34:22 AM by electrondady1 »

Nando

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:32:17 AM »
A wind mill farm is easy to connect for power adding.

Normally, to easy the connection, all the mills should have the same power and wind characteristics.

There are some fellows in South America doing small wind mills farms with truck radiator fan motors in parallel and in series.

There is one farm that has 24 of them in a ridge with 8 meters wood poles feeding his house -- charging 200 volts battery bank and from there a converted UPS producing 115 volts @ 3 KW.

All mills, each producing about 100 -150 watts average, connected in 2 strings of 12 wind mills in series, then both strings in parallel.

You can put them in series or in parallel or both at the same time.

Depending on the mills, one can add them in parallel via the rectifying diodes if the wind mills are AC Volts, or even with isolating diodes to add power in parallel to the load.

In series, I need to know the mills to show how to connect them properly and to avoid power feed back to those generating low power.

I do not have software to show you sketches.

Nando

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:32:17 AM by Nando »