Author Topic: help design john deere wind machine  (Read 1808 times)

stephan

help design john deere wind machine
« on: July 29, 2004, 09:51:54 PM »
 Hi everybody! I'm a first time poster so please forgive my ineptness. I've been extremely intrested with selfsufecientcy for years and given the current predicament of our beloved earth I can't think of more apropriate product line for any manufacturer of farm impliments than a good sized windmill. I am currently employed by John Deere of Waterloo Iowa as a machinist and am dying to present this idea to the company. I'm looking for some rough specs for a windmill that would power all the electrical needs of a modern farm that has good steady wind. I'm not in this for monitary gain, I feel it's my duty. Any help will be greatly appreciated.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 09:51:54 PM by (unknown) »

Jerry

Re: help design john deere wind machine
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:02:44 PM »
Hi Stephan

Welcome aboard.

It will be a big one for sure 1,000s and 1,000s of watts.

Several 20,000 watt Bergys (spl?) comes to mind? You know 100 ft towers and 20 ft blades and 1,000 LBs each?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 10:02:44 PM by Jerry »

Electric Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 10:09:15 PM »
All the electrical needs of a modern farm, eh. That would be a big one.

There is lots of good information here. Just use the search function in the MENU at the upper right.

Electric Ed

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 10:09:15 PM by Electric Ed »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 02:11:33 AM »

I would have to say that one singular device is not an option that would make a world of difference . Afforadable devices for out buildings and farm production that would allow farmers expand into greenhouse remote watering  and other processing interests and could pay for themselves in a season is key . The large units set up to sell power to the utililities is another advance whose time has come. Another long term debt

is not to the best intrest to a familly farm .  

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 02:11:33 AM by tecker »

erne

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 04:51:18 AM »
go to my files and look at the 18/kw multiblade machine. It is 24 foot and works great in low breezes....erne
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 04:51:18 AM by erne »

Opera House

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 06:48:00 AM »
What farmer doesn't know about a windmill? As a business decision, you have to ask what John Deere can bring to this other than a distribution system.  Unless you have extreme energy costs per KW or a remote need, these systems don't have a great payback.  There are enough companies now that sell these systems.  Biogas systems have a potential for farms because they solve another problem.  Even then they don't pay off without government grants.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 06:48:00 AM by Opera House »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 03:57:53 PM »
Also:  Seems to me that if John Deere wants to sell windmills they can start by OEMing some of the existing designs built by others, rather than doing major R&D on their own.

Then if the market proves out they can buy out a supplier, or do their own model later.  Or some hybrid, where they partner with one and bring their own engineering, machining, parts inventory, and rough-environmet experience to bear on making a commoditized model or integrating something with their other produt lines.

I LIKE the idea of Deere looking into this, though.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 03:57:53 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

emanjoel

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 12:00:54 AM »
I'M GOING TO BE HONEST.  I'M IN IT FOR THE MONEY.  HOW MANY FARMS ARE GARANTEED TO HAVE    STEADY WIND?  AND IF IT IS, GUARANTEED,  WHO IS THIS PERSON?  CONSIDER ALL  REALITY OF  GETTING INTO SUCH A  BUSINESS WITH AN OLD IDEA.  THERE ARE IDEAS THAT WOULD BENEFIT COMPANIES SUCH AS JOHN DEERE AND I ASSURE YOU THAT  I'LL BE CONTACTING THEM AND  OTHERS ABOUT IT....   I DOUBT THAT ANYONE WOULD GIVE YOU ANY  GREAT IDEA JUST FOR ASKING.  I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A CONTACT PERSON LIKE YOU AT JOHN DEERE, YOUR BOSS WILL LOVE YOU FOR THAT.  THE US PATENT AND TRADE MARK OFFICE ARE EXTREMELY BUSY  I'M JUST STUCK IN THE WAITING GAME.  DROP ME A LINE  joel768@cs.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 12:00:54 AM by emanjoel »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 08:40:38 AM »
no need to SHOUT.

Little button on left side of keyboard says CAPS LOCK press it before posting again please!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 08:40:38 AM by TomW »

finnsawyer

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 10:01:39 AM »
While you can design a wind generator big enough to provide the energy needs of a modern farm, you also need to store the energy and put it in a form that is useful.  Big users of energy are the tractors and implements.  Therefore going to hydrogen for storage might be useful as it can be used to power the tractors.  A company like Deere is large enough to research and develop this.  If Deere decides to do this let me know as I would be available to consult.  I've got an idea for a wind power system that will blow them away (ha ha).

"Think outside the box!"

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 10:01:39 AM by finnsawyer »

elvin1949

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 11:01:23 AM »
amen

that made my eye's hurt

elvin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 11:01:23 AM by elvin1949 »

thunderhead

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 03:07:18 AM »
The man is right - the big users of energy are the tractors and their implements.  So how about converting these to run on batteries?  The biggest disadvantage of an electric vehicle is being a long way away from a source of power when the batteries are getting low - and on a farm, where you're unlikely to be more than a few miles from the home buildings, that disadvantage is meaningless.

Your product range includes 90 to 120hp tractors, and a permanent magnet electric motor that will deliver this could be built at about 35kg (80lbs).  Your little 40hp "utility" tractor would run on a single motor weighing 12kg (26lbs).

If your equipment draws on average 40hp for a three-hour shift then you'll need a battery to store 80kWh - using the Thunder Sky 200Ah lithiums you'd need about 150 of them, which would weigh about 800kg - about 4/5 of a ton.  For that little "utility" version you could halve the weight of the batteries.  You could "rapid-charge" them in an hour, if you could get hold of a suitably fat grid supply, so when the worker goes in for a bite to eat mid-morning, the batteries can be refuelled too.  80kW from a three-phase 240v supply is about 110A per phase; 40kW is about half that.  That's beyond a domestic supply, but as industrial supplies go, it's not very much at all.

This would have the advantages both of breaking the link between oil prices and farm prices, and also prevent the current situation where crops are showered with pollution from internal combustion engines.

I notice John Deere already does a series of electric vehicles for maintaining golf courses, but these seem to use old-fashioned batteries that don't have the power to do heavy work.  Perhaps your R&D department should be looking into other chemistries.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 03:07:18 AM by thunderhead »

finnsawyer

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 11:05:52 AM »
Batteries versus hydrogen.  Either system could be made to work.  I bet Deere would opt for hydrogen since they make tractors not batteries.  Go with what you already do and can sell a lot of.  Be curious to see what their response would be, though.

Some of the advantages you mention would also apply to hydrogen.  Of course, each system also has its disadvantages.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:05:52 AM by finnsawyer »