Author Topic: 2003 Guemes Gennie with Stainless Steel Bowl Fairing  (Read 1051 times)

conohawk

2003 Guemes Gennie with Stainless Steel Bowl Fairing
« on: August 05, 2004, 09:06:42 AM »
I recently made the short trip from Bellingham, WA to Guemes with my two children to see the 8' Piggott turbine that was constructed during the 2003 workshop.  I am currently building from the same design.

The fairing immediately caught my attention.  Would one of the attendees at the workshop mind explaining how the fairing is attached?  I can't tell if there is a center screw doing the job.

(Photo from blueEnergy)

See all blueEnergy workshop photos

Cheers,

-ConoHawk / Mark

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:06:42 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: 2003 Guemes Gennie with Stainless Steel Bowl F
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 09:12:15 AM »
On this one I think Win ran a bolt through the prop, it's held on by a nut in the middle.

I've done the same thing in the past with SS bowls, and 3 or 4 wood screws in the lip around the outside of the bowl work nicely.

I've put those on a few wind turbines... but always windup taking them off in the end, I kind of like the look of the flat hub w/bolts sticking out.  It's all just a matter of preferance though...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:12:15 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

LEXX

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 05:58:47 PM »
I have just finished building my prop and i've been thinking of putting a fairing on mine, is there any difference in performance at all?  You would think that it would have less of a dead spot in the middle and force wind onto the high torque area of the prop at low wind speeds?  Or is this effect negligible?

LEXX
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 05:58:47 PM by LEXX »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 08:37:20 AM »
Im sure it might help ever so slightly - my guess is it would be a lot less improvement than you could ever hope to notice though.  I believe it has more to do with appearance than anything.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 08:37:20 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 03:31:07 PM »
To be serious about it you'd need a BIGGER one, covering the whole hub and out to where the blades are actually blade-shaped.

More bullet-shaped would be better, too.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 03:31:07 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Victor

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 05:47:50 PM »
 All of the test data that I have ever seen shows spinners to be purely visual and contribute nothing to the power of the rotor.

That said, I and many others feel the visual aspect does have importance and should not be dismissed. In one of Paul Gipes books the visual effect is explained as breaking the plane of the rotor, which is why something as simple as a mixing bowl looks pretty good IMHO.

Victor

« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 05:47:50 PM by Victor »