Author Topic: What to look for in a motor to be used as Wind Generator  (Read 1250 times)

Matrix1000

What to look for in a motor to be used as Wind Generator
« on: August 17, 2004, 12:56:58 AM »
I went to a couple motor shops today looking for a good PM motor to use as a wind generator. When I told them that I was looking for a 3/4 to 1hp motor to use as a generator they looked at me like I was smoking crack.

They all basically said that they couldn't tell me which kind of motor would make a good generator because they've never tried it. They also couldn't suggest a motor type, brand or model and said once I figure out what I want to order, come in and they will order it for me :/

So I have a few questions....

What kind of motor makes a 'good' generator? (without modification)

(using Jerry blades, 12 volt battery bank)

1. Servo motor, Stepping motor, regular motor or ? or does it even matter.
  2. Should I be looking for a DC or AC motor?
  3. Should I be looking for Low RPM / High Voltage, or High Voltage / High Torque or High amps or ?
  4. Should I be looking specifically for a Brushless motor?

There are a lot of motors on ebay and it would sure help if I knew what to look for :P

Any informaiton appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:56:58 AM by (unknown) »

Chagrin

Re: What to look for in a motor to be used as Wind
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 02:19:51 AM »
The simplest is a brush DC motor which has a RPM to Voltage ratio where usable voltage is achieved around/under 300RPM (the typical speed of most wind turbines). Usually these will be described as servo motors. Brushless motors won't work without fairly involved modification (if at all).

www.surpluscenter.com is the easiest place to look, notably the Ametek brand motors. These will be face mount motors capable of both CW and CCW rotation.

gearmotors == bad.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 02:19:51 AM by Chagrin »

laskey

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 06:59:02 AM »
IF you're going to all the trouble of buying a motor, why not buy a Generator that will produce your required voltage at the speed you want?  Then you know it will work.  

Cya,

Chris

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 06:59:02 AM by laskey »

Matrix1000

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:10:41 AM »
I wasn't aware that you could find small generators...everything I seem to find is large and attached to an engine already.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 11:10:41 AM by Matrix1000 »

drdongle

Re: What to look for in a motor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 06:04:06 PM »
What you want to ask for is a Conveyor motor, these come in 90 and 180 volts, and various HP ratings. most I have seen are 1800 RPM. A 180 volt unit at 300 RPM will put out 30 V ( more or less).

Carpe Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 06:04:06 PM by drdongle »

valterra

Re: What to look for in a motor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »
how about this one?  From that surplus site.  Seems like the best one, from what y'all said.  Do you need to watch the HP rating - I mean, would that affect how big the blades have to be (harder motor to turn)?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 07:43:55 PM by valterra »