Author Topic: induction motor conversion up and running  (Read 1760 times)

iFred

induction motor conversion up and running
« on: September 05, 2004, 05:29:27 PM »

The twins. Picture showing both gennys I have up...

I Finally after a year since building it, I got the induction motor conversion that I wrote about on my web page finished and up today. No small feat on this one. she was heavy <:-) even the gin pole and cables felt that weight, but once I got it behond the 60 deg mark, she went rather smoothly. she's now at 25 ft, will see what she puts out, i'm hoping for wind now. She is designed for higher voltage, in this case, I estimate around 50-90 volts no prob in a medium wind with a couple good amps to boot.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 05:29:27 PM by (unknown) »

iFred

Re: induction motor conversion up and running
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 05:53:22 PM »

P.S. THANK YOU DAN!!! for those magnets a year ago, these are them! Without these magnets this induction motor convert would'nt have happened. I still have a few left and will be making more of these induciton motors. It was greatly apprecaited then as it is today. U da man!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 05:53:22 PM by iFred »

deerslayer660

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 06:01:52 PM »
   looks good fred i to put a new mill and of course no wind 3 days go figure george
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 06:01:52 PM by deerslayer660 »

windstuffnow

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 06:02:33 PM »
  They look nice iFred!  What size pipe are you using for the towers?  I really dislike cable towers but I think I'm going to go this way on one of my turbines.   What I really dont like is mowing around the cables... or mowing in general

Have you done anything with the stator I sent you?  I may have to make up another one shortly with some other ideas that have been smoldering...

Anyway Nice job!  Looks like your having fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 06:02:33 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

iFred

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 06:28:39 PM »

Hi Ed, I have steadly increasing the pipe sizes to find a good match. This one is a square pipe 2 1/2 x 2/12 by almost 1/2 inch thick. The induciton motor was a beast and this pipe needed to match. Also I have yet to connect the additional 4 more lines to hold her. at this point there are four, with 4 pipes in each direction sunk down 7 ft. I intend to also make some cement and go around each of the 4 about 1 ft down by 1 ft across for more support if needed. Maybe tomorow.

i have been steadly working on this genny for the last 5 weeks now so I did'nt get the chance yet to work on the new core. I was thinking abou the best way to do it and the wire size. now that this generator is done I will have some time shortly to begin on that core, so hang in there. If you want it back I can do so, up to you. I just need more time personally. Have been busy with business picking up and this genny.

Having fun is part of the job!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 06:28:39 PM by iFred »

BrianK

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 11:17:56 AM »
If it don't bother you Ed just get some roundup weed killer and put a little bit around the wires and pole.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:17:56 AM by BrianK »

windstuffnow

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 02:13:59 PM »
   I probably will Brian when I put them up ( if I put them up this way).   There are alot of old aermotor windmills in my area, where years ago everyone was pumping water with them.   Now a days their not in use, broken blades and usually free for the taking.   They offer a cheap alternative with a very small footprint.  You can usually rebuild one and get it up for under a couple hundred dollars including concrete.  I set up 2 legs with piviots and they go up and down quite easily with the use of a tractor.

I do have an area that is suitable for the tilt up cable type that could be done in a way there would be no mowing ( thus reduce my mowing load ).  I'm a bit frugal so every penny has to count for something as well as reduce my work load....

Have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 02:13:59 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed