Author Topic: wind pulse charger  (Read 2188 times)

iFred

wind pulse charger
« on: September 21, 2004, 12:48:43 PM »
I have read some of the posts from Jerry, KWW, Tom, Charged and others regarding taking the power from a 2 or 3 phase wind generator during low wind speeds and putting them through a pulse charger that acts as both capacity and doubling circuits. I think it's called a pulse charger?

My question is what is the advantage of doing this and did it really work? I have been thinking of doing it on some smaller machines but is it worth the effort or work?

The other question I have is; does the power get switched or pulsed after the caps/diodes or before?

THANKS!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 12:48:43 PM by (unknown) »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: wind pulse charger
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 01:51:46 PM »
Hi iFred,

I seem to remember that kww was operating some heat lamps(screwin bulb type) directly from his mill, without an invertor. Most stator designs are for low voltage, but they will output AC until converted to DC with a rectifier. Since the alternators do output AC you can feed that into a basic voltage doubler circuit(diodes/caps) and it will work. wheras a dc input(to the doubler) would need the switching or pulsed to make it work. In some situations the the power in watts produced by the stator is sufficent to power a simple resistance load. However the output volts are usually out of range(to low) to get proper operation with such a load. This is where the voltage doubler circuit is useful, since the power capacity in watts is there before the doubler, and current is lowered, and voltage is increased. Hopefully the current is still adiquate enough(because it has been reduced by the doubler) once voltage has been doubled, to get good results with the load. This generally works best with simple resistance loads, since the freqency will be relative to the mill's rpm.

";does the power get switched or pulsed after the caps/diodes or before" It gets switched before "only if its dc" If you are inputing ac into the doubler you dont have to switch it. Im not sure how the pulse charger exactly fits into it all, but im pretty sure a voltage doubler is part of the pulse charger circuitry.

if i remember correctly kww was using a single phase machine to make this work, there are some problems assoiated with 3phase output when trying to do something simular. I think its because there are problems when combining the phases to use all the ac power, when using rectifiers and convering to dc, there is no problem combining the phases.

hope this helps

JW

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 01:51:46 PM by JW »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 09:18:50 AM »
Hi iFred

I started playing with puse charging for its desulfating ability. My first pulsers were the 555 timers with 30 volt dc supplys and transistors to handel the amperage of curent swiching.

Then Hanou (spl?) posted about just using a cap befor the fullwave bridge and conecting straight to the ac line.

His post stated for every 24UF 1 amp of curent would flow. This is at 120 vac.

I did this with 240uf and got 10 amps. This system was much simpler and worked much better.

My thoughts then were to take the ac output of a wind genny and do the same thing.

This would work with very high voltage gennys. It would allow them to charge at low voltage but at the same time create a load match that would not cause stall.

I've not tried this yet. Once my crank up tower goes up I'll give it ago.

Should work with 3 phase also. This will make long small wire runs posable with high volts at the genny but low volts at the batteries. All this without the problems of transformers. Transformer problems I've incountered. impeadance miss match, stall do to low frequency at startup and insertion losses.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 09:18:50 AM by Jerry »

Victor

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 12:41:46 PM »
Jerry and all,

The reason you can charge a 6, 12 or 24 volt battery with a 120 volt  input using this method is because the capacitive reactance adds a large impedance to the system and limits the amps. I would expect to have trouble getting much power at all though the circut if used with a wind generator 10 amps at 12 volts is only 120 watts. Also the impedance varies with the inverce of the frequincy so at less than 60 hz you will get less than 1 amp for 24mf.

This circut is also potentially very dangeous when LINE connected  for several reasons

1 the open circut voltage is the line voltage so if you disconnect the battery before unplugging the circut you have a lethal votage present and also potential for an energetic spark at the point of disconnect.

1. Since there is no isolation from the line voltage, the  posts of the battery are swinging at near line voltage relative to ground. In other words you could easily recieve a lethal shock from the battery (post to ground) even though the battery voltage only measures 12 volts.
  2. If you are trying to charge a sulfated battery ( one of the places this circut really shines) and the battery has a high internal impedance line voltage will develope accross the impedance and  on occation cause an internal spark and result in exploding the battery.

Please don't take the above as criticism, I just don't want to hear of people gettig hurt. The circut that you described in your post and others similar to it can be very inexpencive and useful but require a huge amount of respect. Also even if you know all the dangers and protect yourself from them another person or pet coming accross the situation would not expect the high amount of danger.

Make the wind fun!

Victor

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 12:41:46 PM by Victor »

Harry Luubovv

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 07:48:03 PM »
I can concur with 5 KW, it is potentially a dangerous voltage between the batt terminal to ground if the windgen is of that high voltage output and hoooked up without isolating transformer ! !

And even if you might deliberately omit the connection between the generator ground wire to the real ground to try to accommodate the safety issue mentioned here (Not recommended because of lightning issue), but you might still have appliances [ Inverter,for example]which fed off the same output which make the loop connection for you automatically if you are using appiance at the same time from the battery. and, during raining weather, static electricity will do the conection between the generator ground and the real earth anyway for you as well.

It is better safe than sorry ! !

Thanks for reeading,

Harry Luubovv.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 07:48:03 PM by Harry Luubovv »

Harry Luubovv

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 07:56:15 PM »
It should have been read "The hot terminal" being the dangerous one, and thew porentially looped one, not the ground. Sorry.Harry.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 07:56:15 PM by Harry Luubovv »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 08:11:09 PM »
Should work with 3 phase also.

Won't work with 3 phase.

Pulse charging works by alternating a high charging voltage and current with a dead time (or even a reverse current to selectively eat off any points or dendrites) during which the battery recovers and depolarizes.  A single-phase version of this has two long "on" and two short "off" periods per cycle.  A three-phase version has six long offset "on" periods that overlap, eliminating the "off" period that is central to pulse charging.

You'll get some desulfation from the high charging voltage.  But it won't be anywhere near the effectiveness of a true pulse charging regime.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 08:11:09 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »

I just started riping apart some cameras to raid them for charge circuits .

Went to wallmart and they had 2 boxs full . the tech there was alright and hot too .

« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 04:07:00 PM by tecker »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 06:37:54 PM »
Hi tecker,

I have a really nice schmatic for a Cascade Multiplier, it also gives some minor details for the selection of ratings for the componets. If youd like I can post it tommorw after I take a picture of the page.

JW

« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 06:37:54 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 09:02:16 AM »

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 09:02:16 AM by JW »