Author Topic: Starting Small  (Read 987 times)

Peppyy

Starting Small
« on: November 08, 2004, 03:15:30 PM »
I would like to start out by building a small wind generator first to run a little heater in the kids bus shelter. Looking to be able to recharge 15 minutes of 120 to 200 watt load daily. I have a bunch of limitations since I live in town. Has anyone built a smaller version of the dual rotor volvo genny?

I live in a valley and get pretty much north or south wind which has been blowing for weeks now. Low speed cut-in would be a plus. I would use the heater for the dump load after battery was charged.

Well, I'm Addicted. I was doing some googling on solar and came upon the otherpower site. So much good stuff! Lot's of future plans.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 03:15:30 PM by (unknown) »

juiced

Re: Starting Small
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 03:30:06 PM »
Congrats man! Its nice to think of the kids, but i would look at some of the turbine failures that have happened before planning a location.

Also, just a thought but when i lived in a valley; i noticed alot of upward moving currents due to heat reflection off the water. Think of the big picture and you might be able to take advantage of more then a regular stream.

From what i understand, air mass slows down as it approaches a 'mountain' and must basically climb it. It loses its water on one side (in the case of the rockies) and travels for a while before heading down again. The point being is you

may be able to find a 'sweet' spot.

Contact this gentleman for a CD called 'WindFarm' It supposedly can help you immensly. I have it installed, just havent had a chance to learn it yet.

Good luck man!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 03:30:06 PM by juiced »

Peppyy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 06:03:52 PM »
Well I am right in the mountains, not compared to the rockies but pretty big for around here. We get a good amount of wind here in the winter months. I have been watching the last few days and it is averaging around 6mph at 18 feet above the ground during the daylight hours. I have to find a datalogger for my davis wm2 and keep a log.

I have been looking into the brushless dc motor idea. I will have to see what the Vonweiss <-(sp) motors are on my old satelite dish actuator arms are. They might be just the ticket for a smaller generator. I have already been gathering a few parts here and there to build a larger one. Really miss my old shop. Would have had a regular goldmine there.

I have also been looking into building a very efficient 12 volt computer but haven't gotten anywhere near the efficiency of a laptop yet, getting closer though. I am shooting for getting the lighting and computers off the grid first. Going to have to teach the kids how to shut them off.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:03:52 PM by Peppyy »

juiced

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 10:24:13 PM »
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 10:24:13 PM by juiced »

Peppyy

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 08:03:25 AM »
That is great. I have been looking at this computer for a while.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=56-150-017&depa=1

What did you use for a PSU? All the ones I have found so far are rather pricey.

My other power concideration is my dsl modem and router. By the time I get the computer built and all the wattage added up it will probably draw lwee than the connection.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 08:03:25 AM by Peppyy »