Author Topic: JERRY-your blades and AC conv Wiring  (Read 1508 times)

Reno

JERRY-your blades and AC conv Wiring
« on: December 05, 2004, 01:56:10 AM »
Hello Jerry

I was wondering if you ever tested your blades on a Genny with each coil set wired in series. I have done this to my AC conv and seem to be getting good Amperage in high winds and low wind charging. One coil set open circuit will do 25V. I have yet to put it back on the tower (ground level testing) but if the results I am getting is any indication I think I will surpass the results i got from parallel/series wired coil sets.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 01:56:10 AM by (unknown) »

Jerry

Re: JERRY-your blades and AC conv Wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 09:46:15 AM »
Hi Reno

Yes. I've tryed every posable coil arangement.

Things that effect the final choice on coil arangement enclude.

Ceramic magnets verses NEO, curved verses bar magnets, gap thin or wide, ect.

The curved NEOs I use deliver the largest amount of manetic flux posable over the largest surface are with the smallest gap posable.

This will extract a much higher amount of power per coil than ceramics or bar NEOs can.

Since the weaker magnet arangement will be producing less voltage it will be nessasary to wire there coils in siries to achive the same voltage of the curved NEO that is wired perelell.

The obvius disaddvantage is much less amperage or power output.

Comercial wind generator manufacture use curved NEOs for this reason.

The Lakota for example is a 3 phase 8 pole. Its actual alt/pma section is the same size as a standard car alternator and yet it will do an easy 1800 watts.

It uses 8 curved NEOs. If these magets were ceramics it would only do a fraction of this power even if they were the exact shape as the NEOs. Also if the magnets were bar or any other shape NEOs the power would conciderably less. This would nessesatate a wireing arangment that produce the same cut in speed but at a much less overall power output.

You must identify the best coil arangement per alt/genny, blade, wind available, volts, amps watts ect.

It is quite a big help to be able to vehicle wind test your gennys, blades andsuch to find the best combonations. I'm fortunate to have this luxury.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 09:46:15 AM by Jerry »

Reno

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 05:30:54 PM »
High Jerry

I also have the curved neo and a very small gap (it would be hard to slide a piece of paper between mags and lams). I wired my genny parallel series and needed good wind to make decent power (higher amps). With the all series wiring and same blames I see charging voltage more often and in high winds I seem to be getting higher amps readings then I did before. I realize that the blades would make a difference.

How would you say your genny performed using the same blades wired series as apposed to parallel/series.

Also my motor had a third coil set which might also has an effect.

thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 05:30:54 PM by Reno »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 11:01:16 PM »
Hi Rino

The results of test the 1 HP garbage disposal motor with 4 NEOs went like this.

For 12 volt charging the best results were as the scimatic shows, a siries perelell combination.

With all coils in stock formate there was less power. With all perelell the amperage was much higher but only at much higher wind speeds.

The overall best combo was the siries perelell.

The motor you have aparently works best wiered siries. Go with what works best.

I know you've posted this motors discription. If you wouldn't mind could you give all the motor specs again?

Does your motor have bearings or bushings?

The garbage disposal motor has some addvantages over conventional of the same hp rating.

One is a much larger stator diameter bore. The end result of this is a higher velosity of magnets past coils. This would reduce rpm and wind speed requierments.

I prefure single phase over 3 phase for motor conversion for 12 volt charging. The single phase becomes 2 phase after conversion.

Also 3 phase motors are built for 208, 440 or higher voltages and with 12 coils instead of 8 and baked hard thick varnish there much harder to convert and reconfigure coils for 12 volt use without rewinding.

To get over 1000 watts with just 4 $5 magnets is a good feeling. And with 3 $15 blades.

For a small genny made from motor conversion this motor is way overlooked?

I don't get it?

The standard motors that can be wired for 120/240 volt are more complex to reconfigure coils then the 120 volt only type motors.

The garbage disposal motor is 120 volt only and is wound loosly and very easy to find starts and stops of the coils.

Its just the easyest to work with because the stator slides out of the motor can so easy and its preformance for its small size is excelant.

There lots of plumers just chucking them in the dumpster. Not because the motors burned up but because the food chopper thingy goes bad.

Out of the 300 hundred I've collected only a few were burnt.

The 1 hp are the good ones but they are very rare. Most are 1/2 hp, or 3/4, 1/3 or maybe even 5/8 hp.

Every motor below 1 hp is wound with aluminum wire. However even the 1/2 will do 500or 600 watts.

I have a bunch of these stators if anyone wants some. All I need is $10 for tearing the motor down and the shipping.

If anyone is intrested I could do a diary on the conversion process. Maybe using some cheap ceramic magnets and get a couple hundred watts?

OH sorry Reno looks like I got carryed away.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 11:01:16 PM by Jerry »

Reno

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 05:15:25 PM »
Hello Jerry

the motor I converted was a

3/4 hp

1. rpm
  2. V
  3. amps
  4. Hz
  5. Phase

I left the coils stock and attched 8 curved neo to the rotor (the magnets had to be cut down to fit by 1/4 inch.

This motor had three coil sets in it with the one coil set wound inside the run coil. In my original post I made a mistake when I said it ran at 25V open circuit that should have read 40V open. I am starting to turn my attention to a dual rotor I want to build but still want to get the AC conv back up first

thanks for the info once again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 05:15:25 PM by Reno »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 09:56:58 PM »
Those are great motor specs. Did you set the magnets nn,ss,nn,ss,ss? This is a 4 pole motor and as such should have 4 magnetic poles.

This motor should do an easy 1,000 watts. If you think about it 11 amps X 115 volts = 1265 watts and thats not acounting for the 632.5 watts the start windings can do.

So 1,000 watts should be a BREEZ. Sorry just couldn't resist.

Jerry

« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 09:56:58 PM by Jerry »

Reno

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 06:09:18 AM »
Hello Jerry

the magnets are setup the way you posted

I have never been able to get anywhere near 500 watts let alone 1000.

I have always assumed it was the blades I built larger blades which I

want to use for my dual rotor when built I tried them on my AC conv but they were to big. I think I will rewire it series/parallel one more time and test it under the same conditions as I did the series wiring even though I feel the series wiring works better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 06:09:18 AM by Reno »

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 09:25:36 AM »
Hi Reno

Are you using "Jerry blades" if so what is the root pitch or angle degrees?

23% works well for me. 4 blades at 49" at 23% are my blade specs. But I use 2 and 3 blade configs also.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 09:25:36 AM by Jerry »

Reno

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 03:59:36 PM »
No still have the air403 type blades

Like I said i am working on a dual rotor

so just using the AC conv for experimenting.

on the Dual rotor I will be using series/parallel wiring with the phases since I will be charging at 12V. I am hoping for 4 series/3 parallel in a 12 coil set but will settle for 6/6. I have been thinking about getting some Jerry blades for the AC conv just to do blade comparisons. I have almost no cogging on this motor and it start really easy my problem has always been getting to charging voltage and knowing what each coil is capable of on the bench I have to assume the blades I have are flexing and creating some type of brake.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 03:59:36 PM by Reno »

Jerry

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 09:38:54 PM »
Ok Reno now I fully understand whats going on.

Reno let me be as gentle as I can.  The 403 blades "SUCK".

I just did a big post and lost it so now I'm cranky?

As you know I have 13 gennys on the roof of my store. One of wich one is a SW-403.

I'm in a pore wind area. Most of the time the wind is low. But still the home brew gennys are spinning while the 403 is not. Its always the last to startup.

Its little skinny ass pencel size blades just don't catch any wind. The quirius people who stop to ask about the wind gennys on the roof ask why isn't that one spinning.

I tell them about blade girth. I explain it this way.

If you open up an umbrella wrong way in the wind its gona breake or fly away. If you hold a pencel in the wind not much happens. The 403 blade is a pencel.

A while back I posted a compairison chart of the many diferant gennys I fly.

The Garbogen is very close to the motor you've converted. I'll rewrite the part

that compairs the 403 and the Garbogen.

5mph   10mph   15mph   20mph   25mph   30mph   35mph    

SW-403 WATTS  0     0      144      196     249     325     400      

Garbogen W.  63     100    250      379     510     650     1040

I've tryed the 403 blades on motor conversions. The results are very pore.

Those little blades belong on a masquito not a wind genny.

Do some real blades things will defantly perkup.

JK TAS Jerry    

« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 09:38:54 PM by Jerry »