Author Topic: Counterrotating rotors  (Read 925 times)

skravlinge

Counterrotating rotors
« on: December 23, 2004, 01:43:12 PM »
Just thought if I did 2 Savonius rotors and put it on the same shaft, connect it to a generator, or I made them in a fasion the to rotors rotate in different directions and put the generator in between the rotors, letting  one rotate the magnets and the other the wirings in opposit direction. Which will give most output? The first or the second, or does it not matter?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 01:43:12 PM by (unknown) »

mlz

Re: Counterrotating rotors
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 07:15:26 AM »
The second might make more power, if you can keep the loss from having to use slip rings down.  One thing to consider, the larger sq ft' an S-rotor has, the more Torque your going to get.  What a lot of people misunderstand is that an s-rotor is like a diesel, slow speed, lots of torque.  A HAWT is like a gasoline engine, lower torque, but screeming speed.

A moderately sized s-rotor can not be stopped in a wind.  You either keep it from starting or brake as much as you can (through the windings, mechanical device)  I've torn impellers off trying to bring one to a stop, plus burned up the mechanical brake I had rigged.  

Where most people go wrong (in my belief, I haven't proved it, and I'm one of those people) is  that they follow Mike Hackleman and use a car alternator.  This device is begging for a PMA, it needs super slow speeds, lots of power.  I'm thinking a 6 or 7 ringed PMA.

Now, in your situation, 6 rows of magnets, 3 phase, that's 18 slip rings.  I would think you lose more energy from those slip rings then by putting two units up with two PMA's.  Unless you put the recitifier on the shaft, and I don't think that's a good idea (see the braking part...)

Also, they will have different speeds, no matter what.  Different amounts of grease can make the speed vary.  So it wouldn't be an exact calculation.  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:15:26 AM by mlz »

skravlinge

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 07:24:06 AM »
Just find that we may use different names on things, We do not  use the name genertaor only for DC, I was talking AC.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:24:06 AM by skravlinge »

mlz

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 05:11:33 PM »
Re-read my response, I was refering to AC.  3 phase in fact.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 05:11:33 PM by mlz »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 05:50:23 PM »
This device is begging for a PMA, it needs super slow speeds

counterrotating rotor and stator the speed is doubled in relation to each other would be simpler to just double the amount of magnets and have a half-segment stator of the new circumference...this could be extrpolated into 3,4,5 times the number of magnets.

( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 05:50:23 PM by Norm »