Author Topic: Home made turbine?  (Read 1375 times)

Monzadude

Home made turbine?
« on: December 29, 2004, 05:11:50 PM »
Hi there. I'm new to this site and I'm thrilled to death with some of the info I've gotten so far. I'm trying to learn how to make my own wind turbine but I don't know where to start. I've read some books but I'm not a rocket scientist so these made no sense. I'm trying to find something that will help the average person like me. I have a solar backup system right now and I understand all of that just fine. I understand wind turbines that are premade but not how to make my own. I even understand and have played with tesla coils. Can anyone tell me where to fine info for the novice? I've been given info before but by the time I would have bought the book, suplies to make the turbine and all the wire. It would have been cheaper to buy one. I am fairly handy with this sort of thing and a quick learner. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Bill

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 05:11:50 PM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: Home made turbine?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:33:29 AM »
   I haven't built one yet but I can't imagine anything simpler or easier to make than this:

http://www.otherpower.com/woodax.html

Substitute some nice bearing (perhaps even roller blade wheel bearings.

I'm sure this will help you get started on a really fun-filled adventure!

It sure has helped me!

BTW Dans thanks again!

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 10:33:29 AM by Norm »

MelTx

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 01:34:21 PM »

Hello M-dude the project that norm pointed out is easy one to start.

You might want to try one of the A/C electric motor conversions.Although rewiring the motor will produce more electric,its not nessary to do this, as a start project.You can just replace the armature with your own hand made one.I am just finishing one now and it was made with all hand tools, the only power tool was a drill motor.The only extra investment is for magnets (other power sells these)some all thread nuts and washers.I use the kind of motors that go in ceiling fans,about 5" dia and 5" long.The good ones are the same color as UPS trucks,8 start coils and 8 run coils...If you be careful with the bearings, it will turn easy,and make electric nearly all the time....For an armature I use 2" dia fender washers mounted on a piece of 5/8" all thread. Glue your magnets to this...The motor alts dont produce a lot of electric but its a place to start and get the basics down.

Hope this helps............ MelTex

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:34:21 PM by MelTx »

drdongle

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 05:02:53 PM »
I highly recommend that you read through the archive of posts, as any possible questions you currently have will have answered there. Be patient, it may take a while but it will all make since eventually, this site is a treasure trove of information. Once you have covered that then you can you can proceed with your own projects.

Carpe Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 05:02:53 PM by drdongle »

Monzadude

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 06:53:26 PM »
This has been really helpful. I really liked the pic about the wood turbine. Just a few more questions. What's the difference between magnetic wire and regular copper. When the coils are mounted can they touch or must they remain seperate? And last, how do you connect the wires? What works best? You'll probably hear from me alot over the next little while. It's a typical Canadian winter and I've got nothing else to do on my days off exept experiment in the garage. Thanks for the help.

Bill

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 06:53:26 PM by Monzadude »

drdongle

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 07:06:14 PM »
Magnet wire is solid copper wire with a thin flexible coating on it, it's designed so that many turns may be layered closely together. Coils can in some instances overlap, it depends on the design. To connect you scrape off or remove the insulation with heat and attach regular hook up wire, and insulate the splice.

Carpe Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 07:06:14 PM by drdongle »

Breezee

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 11:16:12 PM »
Dr.D  Have some questions for you over on the Controls Board. Thanks, Breezee
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 11:16:12 PM by Breezee »

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 08:59:51 PM »
I might take isue with the statement motor alts don't make much power.

I'm flying a 1/2 hp motor conversion thats is producing 2025 watts at 30 mph.

I will agree however that ceiling fan motors won't make much power.

4 magnets and a garbage disposal motor can do an easy 650 watts at 30 mph.

This is with stock coils. No rewinding.

Just my input from a motor conversion dood. Not trying to step on any toes. Just didn't want someone to think baddly of motor conversions.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:59:51 PM by Jerry »