Author Topic: Wire from microwaves?  (Read 1698 times)

Monzadude

Wire from microwaves?
« on: January 07, 2005, 02:19:56 AM »
I read somewhere on here that you can get usable wire from microwaves. Is this true or did I mis-understand? I'm extremly new at making tubines but I read about using blower motors from cars. It's suppost to be a good learning experience and from what I understand fairly easy. Problem is getting magnetic wire and such to make a tubine. If I spend any more money on this sort of thing, my wife will kill me. The idea is to proove to her that this sort of thing really works. I have and old blower motor and an old microwave. Am I way off or is this stuff usable? Any help to proove my point would be appreatiated. Thanks

Bill

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 02:19:56 AM by (unknown) »

Monzadude

Re: Wire from microwaves?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:21:49 PM »
The more I read maybe magnets too?

Bill

« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 08:21:49 PM by Monzadude »

drdongle

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:24:50 PM »
You can use the magnets from microwaves, there ceramic, but neo's are far better.

Carpe Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 08:24:50 PM by drdongle »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:45:59 PM »
My wife always asks me . . .

How much More Money are you going to spend on this Free Power ?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 08:45:59 PM by wooferhound »

Monzadude

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:17:21 PM »
My wife doesn't mind spending the money as long as it works. It took alot to get her to conserve power and water. Once the Bills started coming in lower she was hooked. This alowed me to build a small solar back up system. This of coarse was a waste in her eyes until we had a huge black out in the summer of 2003. When I turned the inverter on and we had lights (compact flouresents) and a small fan, she realized maybe I'm not crazy. Wind is more cost effective but money is still an issue. A turbine is a little off the wall to her but she's getting there. ( just wait till the next black out !!!!) :-)

Bill

« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:17:21 PM by Monzadude »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
   Talk to Ed....

http://www.windstuffnow.com/main

Little bit of work have to grind the little bit of weld holding the laminations together....but after you've tackled about a dozen or so you start getting the hang of it which ones have the certain size magnets, which ones have the certain size wire or close to it, if you have a metal cutting bandsaw, you can cut the laminations into the right size pieces and make a homebrew F&P, you can even make your own inverter....

Have Fun!

( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:25:00 PM by Norm »

DBGenerator

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 09:48:13 AM »
Bill,

There is some good stuff in microwave ovens.  They all have at least one large transformer that has a lot of enamelled wire.  The problem is removing the wire from the laminates.  If you have a saw to cut the laminates it would make it a lot easier, but no sense in spending a lot of money for this "free" power.  If you want to remove the wire and you have the time and patience, be careful that you do not scrape it up or remove the enamell and be careful not to put any kinks in it.

Microwaves also have a fan and a fan motor in them that are useful.  The fan for of course, a propellor, and then the motor may also have some useful wire in it or might be able to be used as is (but not likely).

Microwaves have two large ceramic magnets in them.  They are mounted on the magnetron.  They are usually two different sizes, so you may have to collect a dozen or so microwave ovens before you have a "set" of magnets the same size.  Ceramic magnets aren't that strong, but when they are that size, they can be used to produce some useable electricity.

Microwave ovens that have a turntable in them of course have a motor that turns the table.  These are usually pretty powerful and can be used as is to create electricity.  Although, because of where they are located in the microwave oven, they may be a little "gunked" up.

There is also a good collection of switches, wire, screws, and maybe a good light bulb in there that might be of use.

I think someone mentioned using the case, or the housing to cut out laminates.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:48:13 AM by DBGenerator »

nothing to lose

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 11:14:33 AM »
"Microwave ovens that have a turntable in them of course have a motor that turns the table.  These are usually pretty powerful and can be used as is to create electricity."

Well here I go off again to the junk pile I guess! I have an old microwave with the turntable :)

It was dropped and the case bent, but it still worked although you wouldn't wanted to use it that way, cook yourself.

I was going to rip it apart someday for those mags wire etc.. when I need more, but if the motor works as is why wait?? Got  rock house I could use that at even if only a few watts. Nothing at all there yet!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 11:14:33 AM by nothing to lose »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
microwave turntable motor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 04:58:32 PM »
    On the microwaves that I've ever taken apart the turntable was driven by a small motor thru a set of reduction gears...the motor is the type that used to run 110 volt electric clocks ...I believe they were called shaded pole induction motors.

.....but take it apart anyway...like you say nothin to lose and at least you'll learn somethin about microwaves ....I'm not sure but be very careful about those large capacitors...better safe than sorry ...discharge them with and old wood handled screwdriver, shorting them out to ground!!.???

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 04:58:32 PM by Norm »

Monzadude

Re: microwave turntable motor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 09:03:32 PM »
All this information is awsome! I only have one microwave right now but I should be able to get more. In the local paper we have a section called Reuse-Recycle. If you want something you can place an ad free. If you have something you don't want, same thing. The purpose of this is so less gets thrown out. No money is involved. If you place an ad for something to give away, than it's free. There is no sell or buying here. I given alot away and received alot as well. The last thing I requested was an old TV tower. I got 17 calls for people looking to give them away. I'm going to have to place an ad for microwaves. Working or not. Thanks for the help.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:03:32 PM by Monzadude »

nothing to lose

Re: microwave turntable motor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 01:11:27 AM »
" The last thing I requested was an old TV tower. I got 17 calls for people looking to give them away."

Hey thanks for the idea!! I need some towers for various things and hadn't thought of that myself, and I even have a freind with a newspaper!! With all these people having gone to satilte now I should be able to find a few free towers around here now too.

Antenna here only gets like 1 or 2 stations even on a tower.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:11:27 AM by nothing to lose »