Author Topic: Is this High V treadmill motor any good  (Read 6740 times)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Is this High V treadmill motor any good
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:46:35 PM »
Hi all,

This is all it says. Copy/pasted...

2.25 HP 260 Volt DC Motor

New McMillan Electric model S3365B2938. Permanent magnet design. Made for treadmill application. Heavy cast iron fan/pulley assembly is threaded onto motor shaft. Recommended rotation is CW to keep pulley from unthreading, motor itself is reversible. Would also make an excellent DC generator.

SPECIFICATIONS

1. -1/4 HP at 260 VDC int.
  2. -1/8 at 130 VDC cont.
  3. -260 VDC
  4. Amps
  5. -5100 RPM

Rotation reversible *(see paragraph above)

Enclosure open

6" dia pulley/fan with 1-3/8" dia 6 groove poly v pulley

Duty int. w/o cooling fan (not incl)

Mount 2 threaded holes in side of body

Shaft 17 mm dia x 15/16" w/ 1/2"-13 x 7/8" long UNC LH threaded end

Size 7 3/4" x 4" x 4" excluding face plate

Shpg. 14 lbs.

OK, so this should get 14V at 275RPMs or a little more?

A 5a rating would be maximum intermittant at 260V or cont at 130V?  Looking for the ohms. 52 or 26 or something else?

It will be a limited blade size, around 32" I hope. And the blades will not be pretty. I don't expect it to be great or last forever.

Looks a lot like an Ametek. Looks like the brushes are not easy to replace, no visible caps.

It is not expensive but I am tired of buying things that are not what I expected.

Any hope for this one?  All insights or guesses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

G-

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 02:46:35 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

picmacmillan

Re: Is this High V treadmill motor any good
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 08:10:19 AM »
hi ghurd...i don't have an answer for your question as i just posted a similar one...my last name is macmillan, so if thats an indicator, i don'tknow if its good or bad.:D  didn't you try one like this before?...just looking for answers in this direction....pickster
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 08:10:19 AM by picmacmillan »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:31:26 AM »
The others we have either don't work like they need to, or are too big for where we have to put them. The one must weigh over 20 pounds. Another needs 600(?, don't remember, but too many)rpms for 14v. Another just doesn't really work.

They are all (that work) going on excersise bikes when the weather is warmer and time is available, but the 2 seem to exclude each other. Thats why we got them. The wind ideas came later.

G-

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 08:31:26 AM by ghurd »

Trivo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 02:15:16 PM »
I have a simmilar dc treadmill but rated at 110vdc 4 amp, conected it to 3" Aluminium stelth blades and @ 300 to 400 rpm got 12 to 14 vdc but because of the wire size, .5mm, had very low milliamps after all 6000 rev rating 300 rev running 1/20th the speed 1/20 amps? Well out with the grinder and start stripping the wire out for a rewind, soon as i figure out how to wire it i will let you know of my success

Trivo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 02:15:16 PM by Trivo »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 10:04:32 AM »
# -1/4 HP at 260 VDC int.

# -1/8 at 130 VDC cont.

# -260 VDC

# Amps

# -5100 RPM

???

130VDC, 2hp, 5950, 17amps, that's what mine is. Has a heavy cast iron flywheel with small multie groved pully.

When I hold it tight against the bikes wheel and the kid peddles fast she can get a 12V fan running pretty good. Problem I am having is the slippage, Using pulley or flywheel tight against the bikes wheel produces about the same power and both want to slip alot.

That was just testing it. I don't really think I can go with just a chain and sprocket drive though from peddles to motor direct. That is what I was going to try, but after testing I don't think that would get enough rpms at the motor. Going from large pedal sprocket to small sproket on the wheel gave me a pretty large ratio. Then the Wheel outer diameter is so large and the motor pulley so small that also gave me a LARGE ratio. I think the motor was probably spinning at about 6 times the speed (at least) of that tiny sprocket at the wheel. Can't go much smaller there, so I would need ALOT larger sprocket at the peddals.  I think I will try mounting this one to run off the wheel some how, better friction needed to stop slipping. But looking for a lower RPM motor for a chain drive setup. Most likely I will use this one latter for engine driven gennie or a motor. 2HP@ 17amps? Now if I could just mount 10 of those 115amp deep cycles to a bicyle I'd be all set :)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:04:32 AM by nothing to lose »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 11:00:36 AM »
I was hoping a lower speed and double the voltage motor would result in something suitable for a simple little windmill.  The numbers sound better on this than an Ametek for something little, maybe an amp, but I have thought that before.

We have a couple different setups in the works for pedal power. Nothing new.

The one bike chain driven excersise bike has a big flywheel with a nylon strap adjustable to increase friction. The fly wheel is like a built in pulley. The sprockets look changable.

Another freebie excersise bike has some promise, but a lot more complicated.

Another 'was' a 10speed on a stationary stand. Removed the back tire, found a built in pulley.  Too unstable. Spent more energy staying upright than peddaling.  Took up a lot of space, like a sofa. Decided not to finish it.

We'll use those adjustable fanbelts made of links. They run pretty smooth.

G-

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 11:00:36 AM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 11:05:20 AM »
That is 2.25hp at 260vdc, 1.125 at 130vdc, 95-260vdc, 5a, 0-5100rpm.

The minimum 95v and minimum 0rpm has me wondering.

G-

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 11:05:20 AM by ghurd »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 05:04:08 PM »
I think I will try mounting this one to run off the wheel some how, better friction needed to stop slipping.

Maybe a little bit of a flywheel on the generator shaft:

http://users.erols.com/mshaver/bikegen.htm

or his other method:

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html

both seem to be highly sucessful, also interesting reading.

Been thinking along these lines for using a

heater blower motor...someday...

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 05:04:08 PM by Norm »

nothing to lose

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 05:05:23 PM »
I'm not sure, but isn't lower RPM, lower volts, and higher amps for the motor ratings better for this type of use. Like if we found a 1hp 90V 10amp 1750 rpm motor, wouldn't that be better than these higher ones we have?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 05:05:23 PM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 03:44:57 AM »
Great links, thanks. Got another idea too from the second link! Maybe a better one.

I was thinking on something like the first one. Make a frame to hold the bike up, but instead of the rollers I was thinking drive the motor right off the tire. With the exercise bicycle the tire is already raised.

The second link about the large flywheel pulley at the crankshaft/peddles I like also.

I have several junk 10speed or more bikes around here, I may combine both links ideas into 1 bike. If it works well, I can build lots of them if I can find the motors to use.

The second link gave me another idea also. It mentioned using an AC motor for pure sine wave output conected to the grid, and of course it's dead if the grid is dead. Thinking on this quickly, taking a low rpm AC motor and running it faster than the rated speed it will produce power. So a simple thumb switch on the handle bars to turn it on and off and a ratio that spins it fast at normal peddaling speeds should feed directly to the house (not the grid) any power you make. So instead of charging batteries and looking for certain motors to use I may try one of those also.

In other words if I am using 700 watts of grid power running the frig, Tv, lights, ect.. and I ride the bike producing 100watts with the motor for awhile, then durring that time I am only using 600watts of grid power plus the 100 I made myself. That might actually be better than anything else! Also if by any chance I am actually using less than I am making, maybe it would feed the grid, but I dought that would ever happen!

If the grid goes down so does the genie power, so no islanding could happen either.

Now I wonder how that would work with an inverter? I have no idea if this is correct, but I THINK as long as you make less power than your using it would be safe and not fry the inverter. But I would test with  a cheapy inveter before trying it with an expensive one. It seems to me that if I were powering a 700watt AC load off the inverter, then ran the bike gennie it would sink to the mod wave of the inverter like it does the sinewave of the grid, not sure though. If so then the house still should see 700watts of power available, but the inverter should only see a 600watt load.

If the motor tries to put out a pure sinewave when ran off the mod wave inverter though I don't know what would happen, could fry something I geuss??

If I get time to build one and have a decent AC motor to test with I will try it myself. Worse that could happen is I fry the motor or inverter, so I'll use cheapies.

My thought is maybe ride while washing clothes, less load on inverter and saves the battery power, but if you get tired and stop riding the clothes still get washed. Or if you get a phone call etc.., for that reason I would not want direct drive from the bike for much as a power takeoff like one of the links mentioned.

As a side note about experimenting with things, a 300watt inverter will run a smart charger at at least 15amps :)

Did some testing on that the other day. Never could decide what the losses were or how high amps I could charge at that way, even on grid power none of my batts would charge more than 15amps max with an up to 40amp smart charger.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 03:44:57 AM by nothing to lose »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 06:29:02 AM »
Yes. Usually.

A 90v 10a motor should have less resistance for more amps out than this.

I have not had good luck with most them, just because of the high speeds needed to get enough voltage. Some need like 1500rpm to get to 14v, and some just will not do it.  Not a problem with a bike setup.

This ones high V will get 14v at a lower speed(?). Calculated at around 275rpms.

I'm playing with some small high torque blades.  Hope to get a little power is a low wind, and just a little more in a high wind. 100ma to an amp.  No good wind here, no good place to put one, and plenty of battery to absorb this much without any control circuits.

With the resistance of 40ohms, at 600rpm thats like 400ma (5.2w)out, but 16w made. Most of the power is used up inside. To get an amp out, it needs to make a total voltage of 54v! 54w made, 13w out.

That is ALL guessing. I expect most of it is wrong.

I ordered one. The shipping was more than the $10 motor.  So I got 2 and some other things just so the shipping was less than the items. Makes me feel like I got a better deal. Got a couple 2.5" x 4.5" 12v PM 475rpm too (not a gearhead). Ooo, Ahhh! ;)

They should be here mid week.  I'll post what I learn here.

G-

« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 06:29:02 AM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 06:36:31 AM »
Thats about what I expect. I am suprised you got 12-14v at that low speed. My luck is generally the other way, thats why the 260v.

Ordered a couple. Check back for updates.

Keep us updated on the rewind. There are at least a few of us who would really like to hear about it!

G-

« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 06:36:31 AM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »
OK.  Kid in a candy store!

The treadmill motor.

Better than I expected! 5 ohms, 15v open by hand (no ropes), 2A short (hard to get a full turn by hand).  It will take some figuring for me to get something to spin it for better tests.

There is a big ol' honkin' flywheel. Cast iron, balanced, 6" dia, 1/2" thick, with 11 fins (fan) measuring 1.625" long, 5/16" thick, 5/8 tall.  A few holes and it's ready for blades.

There is some slop in the bearings. The shaft moves in and out about 1mm, and the bearing center moves with it.

All in all, not bad for $10.

The little 12v 475rpm motor is OK too.  The drill is rated at 650rpm, but the battery is 30'F, and not fully charged, so maybe 500~550rpm(?).

Open is 10v, short is .65a, 15 ohms.

At a questionable 1100rpm, 17v open, 0.9A short.

I spent $6 on worse things than this.

Also, the furnace place called with a waiting ECM!

G-

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 11:49:26 AM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 12:37:15 PM »
And the treadmill motor has quite considerable flux leakage.  G-
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 12:37:15 PM by ghurd »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 12:38:13 PM »
Like if we found a 1hp 90V 10amp 1750 rpm motor

Like the Leeson that I have except 1800rpm. used to be for a variable speed conveyor.

Yeah Yeah....gotta hook it up one of these days .....

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 12:38:13 PM by Norm »

ZooT

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2005, 06:17:40 PM »
That little slop in the bearings very well could be a sign of a motor design for continious usage in a high temperature environment......like under a commercial refrigerator or freezer case where they sell cold or frozen foods....or in a compressor room.

The fan built into the flywheel doubles the chances that this motor is built to run in a hostile environment

One millimeter is about .040".....that's not that much.........

If it's a permanent magnet DC motor it should find it's magnetic center and that magnetism should tend to minimize the amount of actual shaft endplay while the motor is either running or being driven.... and chances are it's magnetic center shouldn't be at either end of the shafts endplay, but instead fairly close to the center of it's travel

« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 06:17:40 PM by ZooT »