Author Topic: maytag "variable reluctance" motor  (Read 1486 times)

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
maytag "variable reluctance" motor
« on: March 15, 2005, 02:35:23 PM »
Scooped this from Sear & Roebuck service department dumpster; the fuse was popped on control board also w/ damage from rough handling. The three wired PCB at center is nice optical tach, will be ringing it out to see if I can salvage it.

120V 2.5amp 3-phase 12 coil variable speed motor, each coil set 2.15ohm. Rotor width/height is square at just over 3 inches. With swept area so small this won't make any real power, and will cog like a mule if I can get decent neos in it. Motor is rated for intermittant use, 10 on 20 off & 50C.

Eight 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" bar magnets would fill the teeth of the rotor but I think a non ferrous rotor would kick out alot if one could skew bar mags, but this is only 3 inches across so it's kind of a lost cause.

The rotor has a small amount of residual magnetism, I spun it up to 2000rpms and read 3 volts AC off one phase. The bearing nearest the rotor core is spring loaded.

Any opinions?  I'm thinking tear it down to get the coils out of it, maybe save the end pieces, bearings/shaft for another project....

« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 02:35:23 PM by (unknown) »

Vernon

Re: maytag "variable reluctance" motor
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 10:55:23 AM »
I have seen (wondermagnets.com) round magnets 1/4 diameter by 1/2 inch long. One could drill 1/4 inch holes radially into the teeth of that rotor and press 3 magnets into each tooth ... alternate poles around the circle and machine the teeth down about 1/4 inch so that only the magnet tips just clear the stator. A slot could also be milled to press in, for example, a suitable flat magnet ... once again each tooth could alternate poles. You could also put a magnet in every other tooth and make them all N poles ... the existing alternate tooth would be a S pole. The magnets would tend to stick to the rotor ... with perhaps some epoxy to make sure.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 10:55:23 AM by Vernon »