Author Topic: Question on hybrid axil generator  (Read 1412 times)

Tall Paul Man

Question on hybrid axil generator
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
Greetings all,

I trying to design a hybrid axil generator that could work in a varity of situations for myself. These situations include:

1. Wind generator with blades 18" to 36" diameter.
2. As hydro generator with low rpm, possible as low as 30-40 RPM.
3. Hand crank for emergency power.
4. Bolt on to an pesudo PTO shaft of an old scooter, about 1200 RPM.

Voltage output 12-15v. Sometimes I would use 18 in blades and sometimes I would use bigger blades depending on the application. I would design the generator to come with quick change fittings to accomidate the different situations it would be used in.

My question is it possible to design the generator somehow to adapt to a variety of differet RPMs. It it possible to make two more more stacks of generators to increase the voltage in low RPM situations. I could envision a switch on the side of the generator to electrically reconfigure it for low (30-120RPM) to high (1000-3000RPM). Is this possible, or can it only be done with gears?

Travis

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Question on hybrid axil generator
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
My first thought since you want the hand crank and scooter high-speed would be to geared route.
Configure for high-speed for best copper use, then for other lower speed area then step-up gearing for the other situations. Have a look over at Chris and Fab's posts about gearing windmills.
Cheers;
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard