Author Topic: Jerry Blade Material - Where to get it?  (Read 1730 times)

Matrix1000

Jerry Blade Material - Where to get it?
« on: April 10, 2005, 12:27:43 AM »
I'd like to build some of those blades that 'look' like black/white poly plastic.

What are they made of and where could I buy the stuff to make one?

I've got a Home Depot and Lowes hardware store...can I get the stuff from there?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 12:27:43 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: Jerry Blade Material - Where to get it?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 07:11:45 PM »
Not sure about the Jerry blades, but most of that is injection molded plastic.

It's little beads that are tossed into a hoper that feeds into a heat chamber/tank where it melts to a thick goo and then is pressed into the molds through little openings called sprues. Once the molds are filled the plasgtic cools a bit molds opened, pieces falls out. Basically how it works. Probably Jerry Blades are injection molded, I think but not sure.

I never saw any large plain sheets or blocks really for just carving things out of.

You could try US Plastics and see if they have anything.

We all have different limits like space and such. My suggestion, depending on what you can actaully do. Get a large black plastic barrel, cut it larger than you want the blades. Clamp between two pieces of plate steel and bake it. NOT in your house or cook stove though!! If you get it hot enough it should start to melt a little and the clamped plate steel will squeze it flat, should take the barrel curve out and maybe smooth the band type lumps also. You do not want it too hot that it melts to liquid, burns or smokes. Just hot enough to melt it enough that it gets mushey all the way through.

For an oven to do this, anything you can build outside in the yard big enough to hold the clamped plates inside and that will hold the heat well. Stack some concrete blocks a few feet high, toss a piece of metal siding/roofing over it. Should not be too large but large enough. If you want to keep this for ever for other uses too then bury in dirt, up the sides and cover the top, make a mound. You need something you can open and close to for the front to put parts into and take out of it. 2 Small sheets of metal siding screwed together filled with fiberglass insulation should work. For a burner, anything you can control the fire with, burner from old cook oven, grill, water tank, etc.. and use some propane for feul.

I have used things like that. What I do to save feul is heat the oven hot with a wood or charcoal fire first, let that burn down to a small fire/coals to continue heating, place the parts into the oven, then control the burner for the extra heat needed as the fire dies out. I do not use the fire really for the actaul parts, but to get the oven really hot before putting the part in.

If you want to go to all that trouble it may work well, it may not. I have done this for smaller things but not for anything as large as blades. I see know reason for it to not work, though you may have to experiment to get it right.

Leave a vent at the top or back for the exhaust flow like any oven of this type would have. It probably would be better if you used Electric heating elements like from cook stove burners or ovens. Remember, plastics can burn in flames and very hot. Don't breath any fumes, they are hazardous. Keep the melting platsics ventilated, watch it some how, and if you see anything that looks like it's strating to smoke, shut off the heat! Fumes may be flamable, could make small boom though I don't think it would be serious, but hot plastics burn skin also.

If done correctly and thought put into this, it has worked well for me with smaller items and various pastics and I never had a problem. I have not done large items like blades, but I have pressed parts into shapes, or taken pieces of bent suff and straightened it this way, like broken plastic bowls, bake till mushey, press flat, make parts.

Maybe start small if you try this. Hope it helps people recycle some junk into good things!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 07:11:45 PM by nothing to lose »

monte350c

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 07:31:22 PM »
I would agree with NTL - the Jerry blades do look like they were injection molded.

I remember reading something from Jerry a while back about these, and they were VERY reasonably priced as I recall.

If your project is in the size range where these blades would be a good fit, maybe it's better to just order a set from Jerry.

More time to make the rest of the system.

Ted.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 07:31:22 PM by monte350c »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 07:36:12 PM »
Jerry had those custom made.  He sells them for $15 a piece I think, if he still has some left.  I'd suggest you contact him.  The stores (Home Depot, Menards) around me do not sell anything with a large enough diameter to use for blades, the largest I see there is 4" diameter.  I've heard of people cutting up plastic barrels to make blades also 8" ABS, for four foot machines.  Rich
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 07:36:12 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 09:16:05 PM »
Yes, I am one of the people that has barrel blades.

Mine are working pretty good, I keep trying different things putting on blades, taking them off, I have had 2,3,4, and several different types of those from barrel blades to the Zubbly blades etc... on just one mill already.

Most everything works, some better than others of course.

Where is Jerry anyway, I have not seen any new posts from him recently.

Yes Jerry blades with the mike mods were only $15 each, not a bad price. I still need to get a set of those myself.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 09:16:05 PM by nothing to lose »

Jerry

Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 10:46:02 PM »
Hi Matrix1000

Yes I do sell the blades still at $15 each. To see the asembly procedure check my diary post of.

Mon Dec 13th, 2004 at 05:24:15 AM MST. http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/12/13/52415/486

These blades are molded and purpus built. See the story all the info is there.

PS been outa town for awhile.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 10:46:02 PM by Jerry »

Matrix1000

Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 11:45:57 PM »
Thanks for the info! I had thought that you had made them out of a piece of polypropoline sheet plastic or something. I've been wanting to try them for a while, these fancy ones I have only work in a fairly stiff wind.

Do you accept paypal :P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 11:45:57 PM by Matrix1000 »

Matrix1000

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 01:45:47 AM »
Thanks for the Ideas!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 01:45:47 AM by Matrix1000 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 02:13:04 AM »
Girl Scouts.

We made 'Angels' from junk CDs in the oven.

A very bad high. Sick as dogs.

Use a bunch of ventilation. A bunch!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:13:04 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

richhagen

Out of town
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 07:05:13 AM »
Welcome back Jerry!  Hope your trip was good.  Rich
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 07:05:13 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

nothing to lose

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 07:19:45 AM »
YES!

That's why I say do it outside! Plus other reasons too.

I vacume molded a few things also. Lots of things can be done easily, but hard to know what any person has the knowledge or ability to do. Can't cover all the safety stuff often, most of it is common sense, but then I know people that don't got none too!!

Like don't pick up a cast iron skillet with your bare hand when it just came out of the oven!!  And NOW the wife knows I do not want her baking hamburgs in the oven and sitting the cast iron skillet ontop of the stove where she normally fries them in the same skillet!!!

OUCH!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 07:19:45 AM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

Re:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 07:31:28 AM »
He wasn't doing paypal before, I hope he started since then. Only reason I still never ordered a set. Kinda one of those things, I don't write checks and the book is normally lost in a safe place where I can't find it very often, or that account is empty, etc..

I have a seperate bank account though I use for just online purchases! Never even bothered getting checks for that one! Geuss which I use most. Different banks, I think the bank I have the checks from has forgoten my name.

Paypal works great, fast, and spontainious, want it/buy it, no thinking involved! Almost as good as a credit card for splurging on things you don't really need, for the average shoppers that is.

We actually NEED our stuff :)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 07:31:28 AM by nothing to lose »

Jerry

Re: Out of town
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 09:49:19 AM »
Hey thanks Rich.

It will take awhile to get caught up? Way behind on projects.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 09:49:19 AM by Jerry »

domwild

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 08:50:48 PM »
Hi,

Quickly reading the posts I do not think anyone answered the question of the material, but I am not really a speed reader.

The material Jerry uses is called ABS, that there are three letters I am sure about!

It is the best material as it is UV resistant. Those of us who use PVC will suffer destruction via UV sooner or later.

I can answer the PVC question at least for the Oz/NZ area: New subdivisions of land get water mains with large dia. PVC pipes, 9 - 10" and surely larger. A friendly chat to the workmen and you can get the offcuts. Those pipes are 9-12mm thick or around 3/8" to close to 1/2" for you imperials.

There is a lot of info on this board re PVC, just search for it. Jerry contributed a lot and so did others.

ABS gets used in pipes used for the transport of the material with cutter-suction dredges; I scored a piece from such a mob.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 08:50:48 PM by domwild »