Author Topic: just a question re microwave genny  (Read 813 times)

bobanne

just a question re microwave genny
« on: April 21, 2005, 03:30:02 AM »
Firstly thanks to the guys for their help on an earlier matter. I have started to build the microwave alternator and i know that the ceramic magnets are not very powerfull but i have in excess of 150 of them donated by South Australian Microwaves so they should go to some good use, also all the coils were made from the recycled microwave transformers, a bit of a recycling and general interest,best use of all the gear type of project. So here is my question, the microwave magnets are 2 1/2" round and take up more space than the rectangular type, i decided with your help to set 16 magnets to 12 coils and this made quite a large ring, i have fitted all the coils and now find that i could fit 6 more mags and 6 more coils in an inner circle. basically two rings of mags and coils. So would i be able to wire the extra 6 coil start wires in to the original ring nuetral and the tails out with the original 12 tails giving me 24 output wires, and do you think that it would produce more power? I would have two 24 coil stators, rear rotor of 16 mags doubled up, centre rotor with 16 mags doubled up each side and front rotor 16 mags doubled up. Each of the coils have 200 turns of .8mm wire, and hoping for approx 48 volts. It will need a pretty good set of blades and i have a very very windy block. What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 03:30:02 AM by (unknown) »

bobanne

Re: just a question re microwave genny
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 11:36:31 PM »
oops i made a mathematical mistake re coils, mags and outputs

the extra mags total 8 not 6

1. output wires not 24
  2. by 16 coil stators not 24

so we have 18 output wires from 18 coils going over 24 mags per rotor side

clear as mud eh!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 11:36:31 PM by bobanne »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 06:14:01 AM »
i am no expert , iv'e built a dual stator geni with 16 poles per mag disk and 12 coils per stator and it works.  your description is very unclear. but it sounds totaly wacky. have you done research into the princples involved? the 12 over 16 layout is for three phase power . you mentioned something called a neutral ring.(?) from your description it sounds as though your running all the coils paralell. runing a second ring of mags/coils will not work, the different volts and frequency will cause cancilation. you could rectify them seperatly .i cant tell from your decription , did you already turn the coils? what is the dia. of your mag disks. are they steel?  what is the mag to mag spacing? is the central disk nonmagnetic? makeing a generator from scratch is a lot of work . carefull planing must be done.  all the elements must be just right in order for it to work.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 06:14:01 AM by electrondady1 »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 06:14:47 PM »
Bob,

I am ploding along on a duel rotor microwave magnet jobie, some tests done last Sunday but not happy with accurcy of data yet. Will try again tomorow.

I used 12 magnets doubled up on each rotor, of course the air gap is critical, here is where I have to do more testing and data logging.

At one stage I had one coil 80 turns of 0.5 mm wire loaded with a 12 volt down light (0.6 ohm cold) and had 2.18A at 3.7V driven by my 2 speed metabo drill on low speed. Now i'm guessing the speed was 750 rpm. Like I say much more testing required, but has some prommis but will be very heavy.

Open circuit volts 16.8 AC Air gap was 17mm at this stage I think, my note book looks like the chooks scratched on it.

My origional aim was 6 phases 12 coils in series, that would be positivly packing the stator full. The coil ends would be overlapped in the relativly large space above and below the ring of magnets. My origional theoretical idea was 12 coils of 1mm in series at 40T  achieving a max of 5A/phase, I wont put too much data here best to have ppl think I'm a fool without confirming it.

I agree with the other response your idea of another ring could work if seperatly rectified for the reasons given. What weight is your setup as is?

Allan in WA

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 06:14:47 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.