Author Topic: Wind turbine identity needed  (Read 1653 times)

alcul8r

Wind turbine identity needed
« on: May 16, 2005, 04:43:39 PM »
I was contacted to assist in making an older wind turbine work.  Unfortunately the last blade fell off last month and was burned with the brush, so no profile available.  He said it was 12'  to 14' long.  Turbine is on a massive tower, about 10" diameter.  Downwind type, three blade, probably just driving an induction motor from the looks of the controls.

I would like to get a name, size, blade profile, and schematics if possible.  Current guess is 20-25KW range based on blade length.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 04:43:39 PM by (unknown) »

Victor

Re: Wind turbine identity needed
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 06:39:57 PM »
-It may be an Aerolite. It's been a while since I've seen one. Do you have a picture of the control box? I think I would recognize it if I saw it. I'm assuming you are in the USA. There are a couple of them in Colorado near me. I haven't seen them for 15 years and have no idea of their status. I think I have an old manual somewhere but I didn't locate it after a quick serch.

Victor Creazzi

Aerofire Windpower

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 06:39:57 PM by Victor »

alcul8r

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 06:58:01 AM »
I'll see if I can get a pic of that.  Has a standard utility-type KWH meter lower right, apx 5-6 inch square contactor above that, 208 volt coil.  Upper left is two pecial purpose relays, probably timers of some sort, then some ice-cube or bigger relays below that.

I'm in Kansas, It's near Wichita, so you could be right.

Thanks, Rex

« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 06:58:01 AM by alcul8r »

Victor

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 01:08:04 AM »
That sure sounds like an Aerolite. Are the two special relays on plug in bases with clear cases containing small printed boards etc?Be carefull with those as they are out of production and would be a pain to back engineer and reproduce

I don't remember the rating of the machine but I'm thinking 12 kw.

Good luck

Victor

« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 01:08:04 AM by Victor »

alcul8r

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 08:51:36 AM »
Victor,

The turbine has pretty well been indentified as having been built by someone named Kerry Kislinger, or some variant of that.  Not much chance of finding schematics or documentation due to small number done.  Probably not worth it, as no one seems to know of any still working, either.

Thanks, Rex

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 08:51:36 AM by alcul8r »

Victor

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 12:02:53 PM »
Hmm, not an Aerolite thats for sure. Altho the special relays I think are the same as the ones used by Aerolite.

To repair this it sounds like you would be basicly starting over. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Victor

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 12:02:53 PM by Victor »