Author Topic: Mallard / Hornet 800 Power Curves  (Read 9564 times)

windstuffnow

Re: Mallard / Hornet 800 Power Curves
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2005, 05:46:58 PM »
  No it doesn't perform that good.. I wish it did!  I couldn't figure out how to get the bottom number to represent the windspeed from the chart...  Mike saw it correctly, the numbers in the lower line on the chart is the windspeed and at 10mph it makes 63 watts.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:46:58 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

aogden

Mallard / Hornet 800 Power Curves -further testing
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2005, 11:36:45 PM »
It is my intent do real installed testing of various small non-comercial low wind speed models howerver I have not purchased all of the data acquisition equipment yet. Also it hinges on whether Napa county lets me proceed with an installation as my site is highly visable.  I will post more conclusive results here later.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 11:36:45 PM by aogden »

wdyasq

A/D converters
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2005, 05:07:42 AM »
Take a look at the DataQ line of Analog to Digital converter starter kits.  I purchased their bottom of the line at $25 and traded it for the next one up at $50 for the much increased features.  They come with enough Winbloze software to do just about anything needed with windpower, IMO.

http://www.dataq.com/

The DI-148 ($50) has an 8 channel input, 'event' recording and many other features that will allow one to measure more than just windspeed and output.  

Good luck,

Ron

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 05:07:42 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Vernon

Re: Mallard / Hornet 800 Power Curves - validity
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2005, 08:41:11 PM »
A half charged battery would be a huge improvement.

You can get power below 12V and all the way down to very low voltage if you use a stepup regulator. This device stores energy in an inductor by allowing output of the machine to ramp up current in the inductor, that current is interrupted by switching off the control transistor and the inductor discharges into the battery .. the voltage rises to the value that it takes to continue current flow and transmitt the stored energy to the circuit. This is similar to an ignition system.

The advantage to such a system is that it can be designed to precisely transfer the available power for any useful wind speed .... say 5 watts and up, regardless of generator terminal voltage. If wind speed is high and power is not needed the switching transistor can turn on and short the generator through the inductor ... preventing overspeed while "kicking" every few hundred milliseconds to maintain float voltage. One helpful accessory might be an angle of attack vane located between, or at the end of, one of the blades (a dummy would be added opposite for balance). At low loads the angle of attack would be low and as load increased the angle would increase until a stall point was reached. The controller would maintain an AOA a couple of degrees under stall and force maximum generation.

Some people may want to use a wind turbine at a vacation cabin. A situation could occur where there was a breeze all week, the turbine was putting out 6 to 8 volts with the battery at 11.2V .. but no charging took place. If the system had been matched the battery might be fully charged and floating at 14.2 ! The cost per KWH of wind power is relatively high and a transition to home installations might be expedited if you can recover every potential KWH.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:41:11 PM by Vernon »

laskey

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2005, 12:03:16 AM »
What we need it a simple way to test these gennys that everyone can agree on.  If we start choosing all manner of test gear, and riggs we end up with confusion about what the numbers mean.

I for one think that we will never find a test situation that can give us the numbers we'll see in actual use. (you might get close) I really don't have a problem with open circuit voltage and short circuit current... hell, that's how they rate solar panels, they're never right under actual usage, but we're all happy with it for some reason.  It's the only way we're all going to arrive at the same numbers in any event.

Those are my two cents,

Chris

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 12:03:16 AM by laskey »

Vernon

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 09:34:22 AM »
Good idea ...

Find the open circuit voltage of the generator and the short circuit current at three points on an RPM curve.

Find the maximum torque at RPM produced by the turbine at the average wind speed.

Beyond that, the characteristics are complicated. A good test would be driving that vehicle mount setup at the average wind speed and measuring ampere hours per hour into a fairly large battery that is discharged (10.5V) at the start of the test.  That would a good general approximation of performance and might be a good comparison method. One has, after all, the greatest need for energy and recovery when the battery is discharged and the time to recharge would be a key installation parameter.

I also think that, in the interest of competing with utility power, the turbine has to have sophisticated controls that extract every available watt hour.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 09:34:22 AM by Vernon »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »
""I also think that, in the interest of competing with utility power, the turbine has to have sophisticated controls that extract every available watt hour.""

I would rather lose 20% and just make something a little larger,

than have anything sophisticated to be breaking down.

Changing a diode is quick, easy, and cheap.

Fixing anything 'sophisticated' is not.

Kind of the KISS idea.

Most of us are having enough troubles already!

Just 2 cents,

G-

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 11:48:33 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller