Author Topic: 48v gen tower raise  (Read 1310 times)

PRedATor

48v gen tower raise
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:47:30 PM »
I had a heap of explanation about this but lost it all when I clicked preview.  So I can't be bothered typing it all again, so I'll just say its getting all fixed tomorrow with a heavier top piece of pipe and touched up blades, the genny didn't get damaged.  It fell about from 10-15m when the pipe bent cause some shackles came off the gin pole when raised fully.

cheers

rich

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:47:30 PM by (unknown) »

Experimental

Re: 48v gen tower raise
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 10:18:21 AM »
      Hello Rich,

It looks fantastic, and, It,s really up there !!!!

Looks to be 50 or 60' --- so no doubt about getting clean air !!

One thing i noticed though -- those blades , appear to be untreated -- but that might not be true !!???   Just finished a set myself (7' blades) and put them on a Hornet gen, thinking they would make the Hornet --"more active"..

I use epoxy resin to coat them, but this set, I used epoxy, and then acrylic enamel (automotive paint) as they are exposed to a lot of salt air and the wood they were made of, wasen,t all that pretty !!

I need to add some heigth to my tower, but at my home -- there are to many neighbors, to close  -- I worry about haveing my tower fall on a neighbors house !!

Have a rather short tower at my cabin -- but although, heigth there is not a problem -- LIGHTNING is !!    Still haven,t solved that problem .....

Anyway -- it all looks great, and hope it churns up LOTS of power -- Congrats, and let us see some reports on performance !!   Bill H.......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:18:21 AM by Experimental »

PRedATor

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 04:04:19 AM »
Hey Bill,

The blades have a few coats of linseed oil, I had to cut 2" off each blade because of how damaged one was at the tip.  Now the blade diameter is 2.9m, shouldn't hurt much.

The tower is 65' (just over 20m)

Replaced the last section of 1 1/2" pipe to 2" today so its much stronger now while raising.

Its all up and running, now just waiting for some wind.

I'll get some pics tomorrow and post em ASAP.

cheers

rich

« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 04:04:19 AM by PRedATor »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 08:39:12 PM »
Rich, where ae you located?

allan down under

« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 08:39:12 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

PRedATor

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 09:52:31 PM »
Hi Allan,

I'm in central Victoria.

You are ?

cheers

« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 09:52:31 PM by PRedATor »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 12:59:40 AM »
Rich, I'm in S/W WA thought those trees looked familuar, the ute put me off though.

Mt test tower is 2x2" pipe and 1x1 1/2 pipe, I too droped it bending and breaking at the 20' join from a gin pole misshap, hands got well ahead of brain.

From this I learned to make the gin pole equal too or almost, the gin pole length. Previously I was going for wide anchor points, which in theory are better because of less stress on cables and anchor but changing over the cables from gin pole to anchor is a pain.

Trivio (Grant) and I will bet putting up a new tower for his tripple rotor Hugh design soon. Previously I was to make this 95' but have now decided to go for 65' with a 30' gin pole. This avoids the need to change cables from gin pole to forward anchor.

Offsetting the anchor points such that the strongest prevailing wind is between anchor points , shares the load and allows for a shorter radius.

allan down under

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 12:59:40 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.