Author Topic: Possible problem of flow with rotors in steel inox?  (Read 1472 times)

steeolico

Possible problem of flow with rotors in steel inox?
« on: September 02, 2005, 09:53:32 AM »
I have built two cars eoliche with all the fundamental characteristics of the publication of PIGGOT, except the disks. These last ones are 30 cms of diameter and 3 mms. of steel thickness inox (what it is not magnetized).  

I reach therefore the, the first car perfectly turns already, but despite the strong wind and a big number of turns you/he/she has never overcome the 15-18 v.  

On the second that is identical I have proceeded to make some verifications to the bench with a battery to 24v and despite I did her/it very quickly turn (at the most of the manual strengths) arriving to a reading of 24v, the ammeter measured less than 1 Ampere. I have tried to also make some verifications with the other car with the same result. The doubt has risen me that probably the lack of power is to debit inox to the thin disks of steel (what it is not magnetized) that don't transport the flow. You thing thought of it?  

Can you point out me some data you have performed to the hand bench it frees for being able to make a comparison? To me it seems very strange that don't succeed to overcome 1 Amper making to rotate to 200 - 250 turns the car.  

I am now preparing me to find 4 disks in sweet steel to set above to the disks inox already resined with the magnets, but I don't know if however if that 3 mms. can of inox harm to the flow however.... Thing thought of it?  

Thanks a lot of  

Stephen (Italy)  

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 09:53:32 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Possible problem
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 05:42:30 AM »
Stephen

I am having trouble with the language, but I seem to think that INOX is a stainless steel and you seem to confirm this by saying "what is not magnetised"

You need normal constructional steel, mild steel or whatever you call it in Italy, it comes with black mill scale on it and a magnet will stick strongly to it.

You will need to use much thicker than 3mm. 8mm would be better, 6mm  may do if that is all you can get.

If you have done everything else to the drawings I think the change of disc material will cure your problem.

Good luck and if we have any Italian speakers here perhaps they could tell Stephen what mild steel is in Italian.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 05:42:30 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 06:07:18 AM »
Stephen

I have had another look at your post and if I understand correctly you ask if you can put the mild steel discs on top of the INOX. No that is no good, the 3mm thickness of non-magnetic material will spoil the results.

It would be an improvement but you need to get the magnets off and start again.

Grind away most of the resin round the magnets, soak the discs in boiling water (100 degC) and you should be able to knock or lever the magnets off.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:07:18 AM by Flux »

steeolico

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 10:55:50 AM »
Flux

Thank you so much, you have resolved me a big problem. I make the test and then I write you the result. Thank you again.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 10:55:50 AM by steeolico »

Experimental

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 11:16:34 AM »
        If the boiling water dosen,t work, try soaking the plates in MEK (methel ethel keytone) for a few hours -- it softens most resins !!

Just did this myself -- be careful MEK is very flammable, use a covered container !!  Bill H......
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:16:34 AM by Experimental »

steeolico

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 01:16:21 PM »
In water boleente perfectly works!!! the magnets are perfect!!!  

Thanks Flux
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:16:21 PM by steeolico »

steeolico

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 01:18:24 PM »
Experimental

In water boleente perfectly works!!! the magnets are perfect!!!  

Thanks Flux ed Experimental

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:18:24 PM by steeolico »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 01:41:51 PM »
It may be possible to mount steel regular on the steel inox?

Mount the magnets on the steel regular disks.  Steel regular disks inside the steel inox disks.

To avoid more fabrication.  More fabrication avoid.

Buona fortuna!

G-

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:41:51 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

steeolico

Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 02:18:20 PM »
Thanks Ghurd
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 02:18:20 PM by steeolico »

benjamindees

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 11:16:09 PM »
Wikipedia confirms that stainless steel is indeed inox.  I guess in(not)ox(oxidized) makes sense once it's explained.  That would also make sense of why it's only 3 mm thick.  It was late, but I read this posting several times before deciding there were too many words I didn't know :)  Good job, Flux.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:16:09 PM by benjamindees »