Author Topic: Stars and Stripes In the Air At Last  (Read 2594 times)

KEG

Stars and Stripes In the Air At Last
« on: March 12, 2007, 05:59:25 AM »
Howdy Y'all

First off I would like to thank the host's of this board and this site, and all those who have helped so much along the way, and a big heart felt thanks to the geys on IRC your the greatest ;-)

It all started a year ago after looking a round in here for about 6 mouths, I started gathering microwaves and striping them to get enough magnets all the same size, and getting some rotor diskes made, thats when I was told there was not enough power in the mags, but I pressed on any way.

This is after the point of failure, the all thread on the hub was missalined just a little and I tried to force the disk on and seperated the mags and resin from the disk and that was where I admiteded defeat, and put that aside for awile, tried my hand at another project.

So I started a set of solar panels, that took awile but turned out quite well.

I made them to fitt the glass I got for free.

I got two of them made and hooked them up to a fifty gal. tank to test them and got what I felt where good results, and that was as far as I got when it got to cold to finish maybe this summer I will complet that project ?

This is where I started what is now stars and stripes, I ordered the disks, mags, wire, resin, and got off to a slow steady start LOL when I had spare time.

This is the start of the panel to come, one of the meany mistakes to be made, this is where messure twice go eat dinner and cut didn't turn out very well, I cut the hole the size of the heat sink and had to make a frame around it to hold it on.

This is a good start on mounting meters, bridge rectafiers and wiring some of the panel up.

Here is one of the blades being checked for raidius, I laminated doug fur for a root of 2 1/4" X 7 1/2" and 6' 6" long

Here is the panel put together.

And on March 9 it whent on the pole, it's not very high only fifteen feet, the new tower will be another story later this summer.

This is the tail pivot stop I made out of a piece of angle iron, so maybe I will never see the pivot slide up in a high wind like some have, ( fingers crossed ) and (Knock on wood ).

This is the ( Zubbly ) counter balance with about a pound and a half of total weight on it.

Yes it was a lot of fun going three steps forward and two steps back most of the time, there where quite afew mistakes, but in the end it all seems to have turned out AOK. so far just some light wind not real test yey :-)

And again thanks to every one.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:59:25 AM by (unknown) »

dinges

Re: Stars and Stripes In the Air At Last
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:49:47 AM »
Dinges salutes the flag. Or is that, 'Dinges salutes the windgenerator' ?

At least, if neighbours complain about your windmill and want you to take it down, you can accuse them of being un-patriotic ;)

'Only took a year'. That's fast. Not kidding.

Looking forward to measured results of this microwave-generator.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 12:49:47 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:00:59 AM »
nice..

is it just the angle the picture was taken...because it looks like your blades don"t have much clearance from the pole....high winds may bend your blades into the pole..

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:00:59 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

drdongle

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:02:48 AM »
I second what Hiker said check that clerance, I'd hate to see such a fine looking machine wreaked.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:02:48 AM by drdongle »

sdscott

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 05:09:30 AM »
Very nice work!  I especially like your panel!!!  What are the specs of your Alternator including sizes?  What is the sweep-area?  What is the surface-area of your tail?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:09:30 AM by sdscott »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 06:40:42 AM »
KEG;

Looks pretty good from here, except, as others noted, the prop looks pretty tight to the mast. Those tips will bend away from the wind under load and a mast strike can cause havoc with things.

You never showed us photos of the mill itself on IRC all I saw was your panel or we might have caught that clearance thing early on.

Now your problem is how to dump that 5 KW of extra power you will be getting.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 06:40:42 AM by TomW »

KEG

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »
Thanks for the comments ;-)

Dinges the microwave unit is on hold as I have to pull some of the mags out and turn them over, yes I made a mistake, that was one of several, someday maybe.

Hiker the blades as of right now are at 11 1/2" off of the poles, I still don't know what is not enough clearence, and yes that could be a big problem, and as yet no complants from the neighbors yet :-)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 10:26:35 AM by KEG »

coldspot

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 11:37:12 AM »
KEG-

".because it looks like your blades don"t have much clearance from the pole....high winds may bend your blades into the pole.."

I'll take this chance to say,.........

I TOLD YOU SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you showed it to me I pointed out the lack of lean back, for tower clearance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said it was more than the standard and I said it's NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway,

looks great I'll be by.

l8r

:)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 11:37:12 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
ok...

so it was just the angle the pict. was taken..

nice set up..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:28:00 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

coldspot

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 12:50:57 AM »
The new tower looks great and the S-n-S looks like it can handle all the winds we get around here!!!!

I drive by when I can when the winds are getting up in strength, I've yet to see any sign of furling but I only slow down around the corner and am proud to say I haven't yet stopped and blocked the road! LOL!! ;)

One day I really should stop and visit, but I don't know what time or what truck should be home?

Are you charging the NiCad's from Linda?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:50:57 AM by coldspot »
$0.02