Author Topic: Guemes Island 2007 Part 3  (Read 10068 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Guemes Island 2007 Part 3
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:52:31 PM »

Hugh gives suggestions on fitting the blades to the hubs for the 6' machine.

These strange people are hooking a 24V battery up to some box full of electronic wizardry that will hopefully allow the 10' diameter 48V wind turbine to charge a 24 V battery more efficiently than it could ever do otherwise.  Some might call this 'MPPT'.  All I know is there must be a lot of highly pressurized magic smoke in that box and I hope it doesn't come out.

Raising the 10' wind turbine on a short test tower.  Did anyone here see 'Flags of our Fathers'?

The 10' machine finished on the test tower.  Not much wind - and a very short tower and very tall trees.  The best we saw was a bit over 100 watts from it.

Friday night may have been the highlight of the music.  We had great music every night - but Friday was a bit stunning I thought.  Checkout the cool bass that Rich is playing in the back near the stove.  It's a standup bass made from a washtub (the wash tub is behind the sound board).  We may have to take a week off of making wind turbines and build one of these.  The line up of this band:

Ian W:  Guitar, lead vocals

Nora W: backup harmony vocals

Mandolin Mike: mandolin, guitar, vocals

Banjo Eddy: banjo, lead vocals

Andy: Guitar, vocals, percussion

Rich: Bass, Guitar, Vocals

DanF: Dobro, Banjo,Vocals

DanB: Guitar, Mandolin

Kelly: Harmonica

Mathias: percussion

Banjo Eddy...  a true character and a brilliant musician from Guemes Island.

Due to lack of wind we put the 10' machine on top of the dump truck along with the 24V battery bank and the experimental controller.  We drove it around a bit and the results seemed fairly impressive - about 730 Watts @17mph (measuring wind speed with an anemometer held as far away from the truck as possible).  After that we took another run and the controller didn't kick in quite fast enough - the wind turbine voltage went too high and damaged the controller, so thats the only real testing we got done with that setup.  Very interesting and great fun though.

There's the 12' machine finished up on a test tower.  Again - very low wind and a short tower but it definitely was working well considering.

We took the 10' machine off the dump truck and tested the 6 footer with a 12V battery.  Pretty impressive output I thought - he was getting about 450 Watts at fairly low speeds.

We tried lowering the 12' machine with a truck at the end of the day on Saturday.  I won't go into detail except to say that certain things needed to be done differently.  The tower crashed - nobody got hurt (nobody was in the fall zone) but one blade got smashed and the tail broke.  Another good lesson for everyone at the end of the workshop.

Waiting in line for the ferry on our way out Sunday morning.  This is Andersons general store.  It's the only store on Guemes Island -they have a great deli, good beer, a small bar and most everything else you might need including animal feed/gasoline.  We ate most of our lunches here.

On the last day of the workshop they got the car ferry working again, so we were able to bring our Volvo across and pick up all our stuff.

On Sunday we drove to Portland to visit some old freinds/rest up (actually.. there was very little resting).  My friend Dave gave me his old volvo - he said he was gonna scrap it if I didn't take it and I cannot refuse a stray.  So I drove this home from Portland.  It's a 1964 Volvo 122S - one of my all time favorite cars.  Volvo hasn't done anything this good since in my opinion.  Dave used to drive this about 15 years ago when we both worked together in Colorado delivering pizza.  At that time I was driving a 62 Volvo P1800 in similar condition.

Shes a little rusty and the upholstry is a little worn but short of that she's cherry....

A gas stop someplace in Wyoming.  The 122 ran perfectly (the seat was a little hard on my back).  She got right at 30 miles to the gallon at about 85mph average speed.  She used 0 oil and had no problems at all.

So a good time was had by all - we had a lot of fun, learned a lot, burned our wicks at both ends and now were mostly recovered.  I may be ready for another one of these in a year or two.  A big thanks to everyone behind this and all the folks to attended.  I failed to get pictures of many.  Below is a list of links to some of the websites run by folks who were involved with this.  I know I must be missing some.  They're all good sites - great companies and worth checking out.

Bill Beatty's website - you could spend days here: http://amasci.com/

Abundant Renewable Energy: http://www.abundantre.com/

Of course, Hugh Piggott's website: http://www.scoraigwind.com/

Solar Energy Internation does lots of good workshops: http://www.solarenergy.org/

Home Power Magazine: http://www.homepower.com/

Outback Power is on the cutting edge of power electronics for all this stuff: http://www.outbackpower.com/

Our own site: http://www.otherpower.com/

The Guemes Island resort, where we stayed - they were kind enough not to kick us out: http://www.guemesislandresort.com/

Kelly's site, whidbey sun and wind: http://www.whidbeysunwind.com/

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:52:31 PM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

pepa

Re: Guemes Island 2007 Part 3
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:22:11 PM »
well presented Dan. even with my slow dialup, i enjoyed every picture and comment, thanks pepa.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:22:11 PM by pepa »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 01:36:12 PM »
Yes, very interesting narrative of what looks like a fun week.

I was just wandering what the correlation between wind power in the day and playing strung instruments in the evening? You should be playing wind instruments!! - Saxophone, Tuba, clarinet e.t.c

Just kidding :)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:36:12 PM by gotwind2 »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
Dan, Who was playing with the MPPT controller? Was it boB? Latest news is the Classic might get released this summer and I was wondering if they were testing their "learning mode" on your turbines up there.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/classic%20development%20update3.pdf

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:36:38 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

elvin1949

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:37:52 PM »
Dan

Seem's like everyone had a good time.

I hope to make it to one of these gathering's

in the next couple of year's.

Glad nobody got hurt when the gennie fell.

One blade and the tail,won't be hard to fix.

Lesson in that,turn your back for 1 sec.and

uncle Murphy will break something.

Enjoyed the post and the picture's

Get some rest.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:37:52 PM by elvin1949 »

Dixie

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
Well at least y'alls got some work done. Around here, it was just a bunch of sleepin' dogs as usual...

Geez...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:07:33 PM by Dixie »

kenputer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »
You know the saying,

It's best to let sleeping dogs lie :-)

Ken
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 06:31:10 PM by kenputer »

boB

• boB
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
Hey Volvo !   No, it wasn't me at Guemes.  I heard rumours about the fire, flames and smoke though.

I wanted to show up and crash the party but I had to have a tooth removed (#30) by an oral surgeon last week...  AND, I missed the earlier pot luck ferry van by 5 minutes !!!!

Classic should (hopefuly) be shipping maybe some protos by end of summer.

Can't wait !!

boB

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:07:56 PM by boB »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »
Yes.. that particular dog will get a bit snappy if you interfere with her nap (or her kibble)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:46:45 PM by DanB »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:56:40 PM »
the rumors are not true...  there were no flames, or smoke - at least not with that experiment.  It reminds me of one thing I forgot to mention though.  We had a late night in Portland on Sunday before we left - went to bed at about sun up.  We slept for about 5 hours and took off - stopped at a gas station just before getting on the interstate.

While fueling up at the gas station there was this old Ford truck and these two guys working on it.  They had a 5 gallon gas can and were pouring gas down the carb (because it wouldn't start).  I should've said something because fumes were pouring out the exhaust pipe (it was flooded) - but they kept pouring gas down there and trying to start it.  I went in to get some coffee right about when the truck evidently backfired and set the engine on fire (the gas can was still sitting on the fender adjacent to the  fire and the truck was parked next to a gas pump and our cars).  In oregon its only full service - and the guy whose job it was to pump gas and make sure everything is safe just stood there.  George found a fire extinquisher...  I grabbed it  - pushed the guys out of the way (who were trying to put the fire out with a big towel - it was just getting larger) and put it out before the gas can ignited.  Very close - very scary!  It woke me right up anyhow and they never charged me for the coffee.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:56:40 PM by DanB »

ianwoof

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 09:38:56 PM »
What, no pictures of charred microwaves?!? ;-)

Ian

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:38:56 PM by ianwoof »

boB

• boB
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 10:44:41 PM »

How about Snap Crackle and PoP !

Sorry I missed meeting George...  Sounds like he

might be kind-a like an Anti-boB  of some sort... from what I hear.

I mean that in a good way of course.

boB

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:44:41 PM by boB »

boB

• boB
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 11:19:24 PM »
VolVo,   I didn't notice the picture before, but that's Darren Emmons, AKA "Solar Hacker"  on the MX60, or "Wind-X"

Darren's one smart cookie and decent all around guy !  (and a ham too)  {:-)

boB

K7IQ

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:19:24 PM by boB »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 04:13:08 AM »
 Tuba and Clarinet ttthat makes a tubanet or maybe a claiban .Way too techno.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:13:08 AM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 04:21:34 AM »
No step for " Volenteerfiredude"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:21:34 AM by tecker »

disaray1

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 05:41:47 AM »
Hey Dan!  Looks like a good time was had by all. Did you get a bunch of pics of that bass? I've already got a Lauren Miller Tub-o-Tune, but i'd love to make one of those also. Any info would be greatly appreciated... dfaith at cfl dot rr dot com

Volvo Farmer...glad to see you're still lurking, I thought you were completely gone.

Happy Friday too everyone!

David

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:41:47 AM by disaray1 »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »
I think we'll have to wait for DanF's pictures (and movies) to see what happened to the microwave in cabin 6.  It was fairly spectacular.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 06:28:28 AM by DanB »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 09:03:22 AM »
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. I thought the big boys might have been out there playing catch-up. I thought I recognized that rectangular black box ;-)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:03:22 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

twombo

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »
Tuba, clarinet, sax.... Try a little Hazmat Modine!! On YouTube, search for "Bahamut". Very funky... with a taste of Klezmer and Raegae to boot!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:10:42 AM by twombo »

twombo

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 10:12:56 AM »
A double helping of bluesy mouth harp too!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:12:56 AM by twombo »