Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

Freelites

<< < (3/3)

salvington:

--- Quote from: peterhannan on June 02, 2007, 04:18:55 AM ---Apparently, according to my father who was born in 1927, Lucas had actually stopped production of the a900 generator & had to be talked into making them again. I have a couple of new ones & were told they had yet to be converted. The old machine for rewinding the field coils was still in our shop until 1974. After the generators were converted, either 12 or 32 volt, they were fitted with a plate stamped with a model no. This was either "d" for direct drive or "g" for a geared model, most geared models being 32 volt. Behind the letter prefix was the year designation.

The photo sent in by Flux is a "D36" the year being the design date, not date of manufacture. There were many different models, the earliest photo I have is from a newspaper ad about 1932 but the exact year they started production is not known.

Generally the models with wooden props were post war & the furling system & offset pivot to help prevent overspeed made them the most reliable models. I have a "D46" up & running & it works very well, the only problem being it needs an automatic overspeed brake which I am working on at present. Hoping this has been of some interest. Regards Peter.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version