Author Topic: 18' hybrid update - Brake works  (Read 1269 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
18' hybrid update - Brake works
« on: August 04, 2007, 06:07:54 PM »
Well after 3 days of running it stopped. My 18' with the Wincharger blades wasn't turning one morning and the anemometer was, strange. Long story short my brake was on so this works fine but not the way I wanted to find out. 90' of the 8-3 with ground is heavy and slipped slightly at the strain relief at the top of the tower. The outer casing of my manual brake cable was taped to this at the top and so slipped down with it far enough to the splice connection of the remaining braided cable that's carried to the bottom of the tower. It pulled the brake on. Dave Moller and I lowered it and I took care of the strain relief and brake cable so that can't happen again, pulled it back up and all is well again. It's nice to know I have that brake for the big storms or if I just don't want it to turn, maybe when I'm gone for any given time. Saw just under 1000 watts after we pulled it up, 3 heating elements at 85 volts 3 phase AC. Until I get my Davis display back from repair I can only guess the wind speed, this was possibly 15 mph gusts. Updates to follow,  Dave B.  

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 06:07:54 PM by (unknown) »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

vawtman

Re: 18' hybrid update - Brake works
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »
Hi Dave

Glad you got her fixed.

Do you have the water heater rigged yet or just using open air?

How much does this Davis display cost and where did you get it?

Thanks, Mark

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:21:42 PM by vawtman »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »
Hey Mark,

I'm still looking into hot water tanks and pricing, they are not cheap for the larger tanks. Right now I'm running the elements into a big crock of water for testing my controller and all. The weather station I have is a Davis Weather Wizard 3. I've got the anemometer and wind direction as well as out door temp that calculates wind chill also. I bought it used like new still in the box and purchased the data logger also. I think the whole deal is around $200 new. My dumb luck the display got whacked by lightning, Davis said send it all in and $70 flat rate will repair what ever it needs. I am lost without it and it will be a great tool when I get it back. I have a Radio Shack meter with serial connection for logging the alternator output besides so running the 2 together I'll be gathering some very useful information. Next is buy the tank and plumb it in. Updates soon, thanks.   Dave B.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:13:10 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

vawtman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »
Daves

I wonder if you could incorporate a surge suppressor for the rebuilt Davis.

Best of luck guys.

oh and did you rule out my big ole fuel tank plan has a preheater?

I need to get back to work and stop thinking so much.Many others seem to have the same problem.Glad you broke through.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:07:14 PM by vawtman »

jmk

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »
Have you been able to warm up the water in your tank you use now for testing? How well is your controller working? It's nice to see a separate set of brakes. Looks like a nice set up.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:36:52 AM by jmk »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 10:48:35 AM »
JMK,

The controller utilizes 2 solid state relays that I am switching at selected voltage points based on the voltage output of the alternator. I rectify a tap off a single phase of the ac for the control voltage of a lm3914 display driver stepping 15 leds. I can adjust the display range for any voltage. I use toggle switches to select the led(s) and associated relay to turn on and off directly from the led voltage. An AC/DC wall wort provides the IC power and trigger voltage. Plenty of experimenting to do but right now I am running 3 240 volt 3600 watt heating elements. A nice arrangement so far has been to switch from single, double and 3 phase (1, 2 and then 3 elements) This easily starts up single phase one element but also will break free of stall with all 3 elements connected from a dead start (this takes about 15 mph winds for several seconds). It heats water nicely. I've crunched the numbers, average 10 mph winds for a night should give me a free hot shower and possibly some pre-heated water besides when I get my tank. As far as the (parking brake) goes, I will never put up another machine without one. Thanks for the reply,  Dave B.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:48:35 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 03:33:52 PM »
I'm still looking into hot water tanks and pricing, they are not cheap for the larger tanks.

You can use a small tank for heating and a large tank (such as a big conventional gas water heater) for hot water storage.  Plumb them correctly and convection will circulate the water to transfer heat from the dinky electric heater to the big storage tank.  (Plumb them INcorrectly, though, and cold water may take a shortcut through the little guy and give you a surprise on a long shower when the little one's hot water is consumed.)

You can also use the gas burner in the big one as backup for calm periods and forcing a minimum temperature.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 03:33:52 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »