Author Topic: Frozen turbine  (Read 961 times)

domeguy

Frozen turbine
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:51:38 PM »
I awoke this morning to frigid temps and a non-turning turbine.  Not only is it not turning, but snow and ice have piled up on one side of the blades.  I've seen stories about this on the board before, but couldn't find any today.  What is the recommended procedure to break it free?  I understand it has something to do with shorting the hot rectifier output back to one or more of the phase wires.  Anything I should look out for?  Am I going to melt anything beyond the ice?

-Lee

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 03:51:38 PM by (unknown) »

Gary D

Re: Frozen turbine
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »
Took a while but here's a thread about thawing things out, good luck!....

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/12/1/144250/822
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:22:15 AM by Gary D »

domeguy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »
update:

It turns out that the blades do turn very slowly, back and forth.  There isn't enough wind to make power today, but enough to make the blades turn a little.  It doesn't seem to be yawing with the wind either.  So I think I have some ice buildup on the blades, some more than others, and the yaw bearing is sticking.  I guess I won't worry about it until the wind comes up.  I think things will resolve with some real wind.  My only concern is that the imbalance will damage things.  Is that likely?

-Lee

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:28:59 PM by domeguy »

domeguy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:30:25 PM »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:30:25 PM by domeguy »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:31:27 PM »
nice picture Lee!  Looks a lot there like it does here.

I've rarely had them freeze up but on occasion they do - and sending a bit of current back up to the machine has always solved that for me.  (it heats teh stator - it also puts torque on the magnet rotors and makes it want to turn a bit/break loose).

Mine never froze up last night but it did ice up pretty well on the blades.  I've always found - if ice gets on the blades it's probably pretty still and a little wind will cause it to shed teh ice.  Sometimes it runs out of balance badly for a few revolutions but I've never had a problem.  (dont stand under it when its shedding ice!)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:31:27 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.