Author Topic: Otherpower HQ wind turbine map  (Read 2482 times)

(unknown)

Otherpower HQ wind turbine map
« on: February 15, 2008, 02:22:34 AM »
I was tinkering with this today, in preparation for our upcoming trip to Nicaragua for some wind turbine work. Wanted to give the folks down there an idea about the lay of the land around here in Colorado. Each turbine icon is one of our machines. Yes, the little speck way out there on the plains is a turbine, too.

Click the photos to enlarge!

The view from town:

We've let many of neighbors use our shop and advice to build their own turbines...you can see our influence on the neighborhood's power situation!

The view from the top of the pass towards town:

Cheers all -- ADMIN

PS -- yes, we could've made this a Google Earth overlay. But we already have way too many people showing up for the Friday afternoon windmill shop parties! So we make folks ask for directions instead.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:22:34 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Otherpower HQ wind turbine map
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »
Cool!

I thought MattB had a 15 foot turbine and DanB had a 17 and 20 foot turbine.

http://www.otherpower.com/bigmills3.html

Man, I haven't looked over at Otherpower in quite a while. You guys archive EVERYTHING! Nice work!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:21:21 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
You are right about that Volvo Farmer...  Matt's is 15' and if you look very carefully you can see one is hidden behind my 17' machine (thats my 20' machine)

Soon to come... TomW 20' machine, TomH(different TomH) 10' machine, MikeH 17' and ShawnZ 17'.  Those are all slated for next spring/summer.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:25:32 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Jason Wilkinson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »
To us who have  GOOGLEEARTH we would like the LATT: and LONG:  SO WE CAN VIEW FROM ALL ANGLES

jASON
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:29:42 AM by Jason Wilkinson »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
Jason;

That would negate the purpose of this statement from the post:

PS -- yes, we could've made this a Google Earth overlay. But we already have way too many people showing up for the Friday afternoon windmill shop parties! So we make folks ask for directions instead.

Just one reason you may not get that data.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:46:11 AM by TomW »

twombo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:31:37 PM »
Tom

Without my disclosing your location (I'm a good map reader). Do you see consistent variations in wind direction throughout the day due to the canyon? For example, upflow during the warming of the day and down flow in the evening?

I live on the edge of a similar winding canyon and I see some of that. Maybe 10 mph for 6 hours a day. Late spring through early fall, mostly. My area is not rated as a wind area on any charts I have seen. Possibly a localized phenomena that I see! I works out to maybe 10 mph for 6 hours a day.

Other than that, I have little wind to work with.

In the winter time, we can get a pretty good blow going, Seems like that just adds difficulty if I'm using a turbine optimized for a less windy regime. Overspeeds and such?

I wonder if a turbine is worth while to consider for such limited collection?

OBTW, Looks like a sporty trek up from town! I see why MattB said a 122 Volvo is just too labor intensive for routine transportation, thereabouts.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:31:37 PM by twombo »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:42:53 PM »
twombo;

I live about 800 miles East of that canyon.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:42:53 PM by TomW »

ADMIN

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
Hi twombo -- yes, we do get the adiabatic winds up and down the canyon. But we mostly notice them in the summer, when we don't have sustained wind storms very frequently. A front coming through, or typical winter winds, overpower the adiabatic variety. Our local fire department's guide to remembering what to anticipate is: those daily winds blow the opposite of which way the people drive! Most of our neighbors go down the canyon in the morning, and back up at night. The winds do the opposite.

ADMIN
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:48:55 PM by ADMIN »

jmk

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 09:13:10 PM »
 Google Earth is pretty neat. You already gave enough for me to find you guys in about 15 minutes. I can't see any turbines from Google. In fact its hard to make out your houses. Looking at my area you can see the cars, and swing sets. Some areas are better mapped than others. Where we vacation in Northern Wisconsin is just outside of Google's charted area. It's all animated up there. I could make out your buildings, fields, trees and roads. Looks like pretty steep country! I was hoping that the mills would have shown up. Thanks for sharing the location. You must enjoy living out there. I know I would! If you don't want The people with Google to find you, you better take the pictures back off.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:13:10 PM by jmk »