Author Topic: windmax blades  (Read 6521 times)

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
windmax blades
« on: October 27, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
Needless to say a lot of people are asking me whether they could use windmax blades from magnet4less on my alternators and frames as per my plans.  

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_19&products_id=230

The answer is that I have not tried.  Allen did mention sending me a free set to test, but this has not happened, and I am not in the habit of paying for cheap chinese stuff like that.  I would assume that it is inadequate but this is not fair as I have heard no reports good or bad.

There is a lot of hype on the web sale page but that does not impress me at all since I mostly find that cheap glass fibre blades fall apart pretty fast but who knows?  Anyone tried windmax blades yet?  Anything to share about that experience?

thanks

Hugh Piggott

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:28:37 PM by (unknown) »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
Re: windmax blades
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
Read the problems I had with a set from there.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/1/31/133333/501

Most of the problem was that it was my first try a wind. I did not no jack.

Thanks to the guys on the board I did get a small mill going. But the Winmax blades are still in the shead. I did learn they take a good bit of wind to run but they will run. Read my past post it mat help. I had a lot of help from the board.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:58:21 AM by Basil »

amateur

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:12:48 AM »
Good autumn from Finland. I ordered 13.1' blades from magnet4less.I have not yet installed the blades, but I wonder about the edges of blades.http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/prev/img1536375.jpg

Do I have to finalize the edges or whether they have such?

I have asked the matter from magnet4less but they have not replied.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:12:48 AM by amateur »

Janne

• Turbiini
    • My image gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »
Hi!

Don't know better, but to me it looks like they might be the seams from gluing the two blade halves together. Propably not a good idea to sand them back, besides I'd bet it won't make much difference with a little flaw on the profile.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:22:07 PM by Janne »
Nothing's as easy as drilling a hole in the wrong place

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »
I have not tested them although I have some.  The finish quality seems 'fair' at best. Im turned off by the hype and the claims of 49% efficiency and all the negative comments about wooden blades.  for the price I'm sure they work fine - only time will tell how long they hold up.  They are much heavier than wooden blades that I'm used to.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:56:24 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »
Fiber glass blades are only as good as the Quality control . There's no way to predict wheather the blades will have a weak spot or poor coating . Making a set of blades will give a serviceability that your just can't get with store bought .I don't see any warrenty implied.Soooo if they're up there for week and get hammered you'll probably have to pop for $300 more + shipping . Wood blades can be rebuilt 80 % of the time or matched if you just need one .
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:22:57 PM by tecker »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:50:09 AM »
So in conclusion nobody has had any failures or successes with these blades?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:50:09 AM by scoraigwind »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

Jimmy D

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 08:02:24 AM »
Hello Hugh,

I managed to get a set on E bay, 8.5 ft. diameter for $53 CDN. I only tried them for laughs as I've carved a set of yours that are powerfull and silent. I put them on a motor conversion (pictures in my file). They needed about 20 minutes hand sanding each and I should say right now the sanding dust from this material is a strong irritant to the eye balls. Anyway I finally got them up and to my surprise they were also silent. Even standing close by in strong winds (sorry no amenometer)only a nice high speed hiss could be heard. I ran them for six weeks in strong and light winds but brought them down recently for a balance issue. They only saw sun and rain, no snow or salty airs as you have. Mounting ends are a little scary as they're not completely solid and one worrys about over torqueing the bolts and crushing the things.

Good luck, Jim  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:02:24 AM by Jimmy D »

RA

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 08:09:22 AM »
I saw couple negative responses from guy from Canada that they are became brittle in frost and cracked.

My opinion they could be much lighter respect to their length even with the same fiber glass composition using frame technology.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:09:22 AM by RA »

RA

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 08:18:39 AM »
I think the edges are the burr of the mass when they extruded it into the mould. and mould was aged and slits were not completely closed. I would finalized the edges
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:18:39 AM by RA »

imsmooth

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 08:35:29 AM »
I bought a pair and I'm waiting to get them.  I plan on testing Terry's aluminum 8.5' blades.  In the future I will try the 10.5' blades I just bought.  When tested I will get back to you.  Keep in mind, though, I am new at this.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:35:29 AM by imsmooth »

Rover

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
I'm running some of the 68" on a chinese PMA (Ari Solar 450W 12v) , for me they spin up at lower RPM  than the original blade set ( 50" with a huge cup) and do seem to produce in around 10 mph wind, I'm sure I'm losing top end though, most I've seen is around 15 amps in 20 mph wind (instantaneous) .  The downside for smaller PMA use is the weight at 3.5 lbs each. The PMA in this case is about 45 lbs with a hearty shaft, mounted at 30 ft.

I've been running them for a year in Virginia off the coast.. no sign of degradation in blades, but I did paint them against UV

I proably would have done better with a different blade set, but they do work

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:30:11 PM by Rover »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Rover

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »
Added note...I have one set ordered off of Ebay an another from magnets4less within about 4 months of each other. Now whether it was timing or what they sell on Ebay, but the ones directly from magnets4less were much better (1/2 lb lighter each, and much better finish, the earlier set required sanding).

and yes.. direct from magnets4less was a little more expensive...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:35:03 PM by Rover »
Rover

Bigwheel

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 01:12:28 PM »
Hi, I have a set that I have yet to try, But a group of college students located in the company behind ours has a set flying.  They have a 30' tower up running an axial flux generator.  Where it's located is in an industrial park with very few trees and is unabstructed.  Being inland from Lake Michigan, it doesn't take much to keep the thing going.  They started off with handmade blades and for the last two years have destroyed about three sets.  I think they were having balancing and furling issues.  So, since this past spring the fiberglass have been up and runnning.  I am unaware of the generator output but know there running about a 10' machine.  A couple of weeks ago is was down and I stopped by to take a look for ideas and from what I can tell the blades haven't been altered.  I know this probably isn't much help but I think you have the handbuilt ones down to a science.  I have yet to produce a set and am a stickler for every thing to be symetric and would take weeks of fiddling to make three of them up.  I'm still looking for the most effective homemade jig to repeat the process.  Good Luck Chad  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:12:28 PM by Bigwheel »

phil b

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
It's all hype!

I bought a 11.5 ft. dia. set last year. After removing them from a well built box, I ran my hand along the blade length and cracked the gell coat near the tip. It felt like an eggshell breaking.

The leading edges are rough and have gell coat bubbles throughout. The trailing edges are not much better and are 1/4 inch thick. I had to modify the angle of attack because I did not buy his hub. They are noisy as flying 1" X 6" unmodified lumber and I think the power would have been better.

I replaced the original blades and tried them on "iron Genny" I posted here: http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/6/2/17930/85949

I don't like to knock the man's product but, unless they have been improved a great deal, IMHO, they are a waste of money.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:01:52 AM by phil b »
Phil

Rover

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »
Sounds about the same time I bough my first set... and they sound to have had the same issues, though mine weren't as bad..nothing broke off

They had bad mold marks...similar to a bad mix (hot) or a re-pour / bad gel coat

the 2nd set did not have the marks, were smooth, and appeared much better finished (better molding).

As far as design they were the same as the first set.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:12:05 PM by Rover »
Rover

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:45 AM »
I don't see how you can compare the hand working process  outlined in detail with the crap shot your going to buy . It's just a question of weather or not the builder has the skills . The handmade blades  are already proven . Fiber glass doesn't have the same durability.  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:44:45 AM by tecker »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 12:55:49 AM »
I bought a set of the 8.5 ft. blades... and to be honest

to me they were a wast of money and time.

I spent hrs in a professional composite shop getting these blades

in good enough shape to withstand the elements.

after two weeks up on my tower I took them down.

they suck in low wind. My wood blades performed

far better.

Anyone who wants to buy the blades i have all ready

finished with all the pinholes filled sanded and painted

let me know I would be happy to sell them to you

at a discount price.

Luckeydog

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:55:49 AM by luckeydog »

imsmooth

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 01:19:28 PM »
I just tried the blades in some light winds, and I have to say I am not impressed.  The blades spun freely before I raised the tower.  In the winds with no load they didn't even move.  I took the tower down and replaced the 10.5' rotor with TLG blades making an 8.5' rotor.  These blades moved nicely.  HOpe this help, Hugh.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:19:28 PM by imsmooth »