Author Topic: just a few questions  (Read 945 times)

marthy

just a few questions
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:02 PM »
I started building a very small turbine a few months back and have been needing to ask a few questions before I finish the project. My main question is a wiring one, I have 3 coils in a Y configuration 50 turns of 21 AWG. The Stator, or turning part, that has the blades, has two magnets pointed in opposite polarities. I am barely getting any voltage across my multimeter when I turn the blades, even at a pretty high rate of speed. Are my magnets configured wrong, or is my wiring wrong, or should I spring for better magnets (I would assume weak ones work not as well, I just need to make sure they are configured correctly)?. Thank you in advance, this is my first turbine, and any insight would be well appreciated.

Pictures here

http://flickr.com/photos/edenspring/3005318713/

http://flickr.com/photos/edenspring/3006154678/

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:58:02 PM by (unknown) »

tanner0441

Re: just a few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
Hi

I doesn't look as if you read any of the earlier postings on here.  First the magnets are on plastic, you said three coils, and three coils is what you have, not three sets of coils.

Read earlier postings then re post your question, (if you still want to) or be prepared to to have your butt chewed.  No one minds you asking questions, but at least look for the answers first.

Read up on magnetic flux just for starters.....

Brian

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:39:52 PM by tanner0441 »

zeusmorg

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »
 First off the Stator is the stationary part, Rotor ...rotates..

I'm not seeing you getting much out of that, first off it looks as though you have the magnets on the outside of the "plates" which would increase the air gap (distance between magnets) considerably.

Also you're not using any steel backing to re-direct the flux therefore a lot of the "magnet strength" is lost.

I realize you are new to building, it may be in your best interest to read some of the posts on people building practical machines and what they have gone through.

the idea here is to get as much usable energy out of your magnets to convert it to electricity, which would entail a closer air gap and a way to re-direct the flux across your coil wire. Only using 3 coils limits your power generation, also. You could easily double the coils in your current size. You could also use a lot more magnets.

I'm not(offhand from the pictures) seeing a wiring mistake. If you are wiring the leads in a y configuration, and have your diodes properly oriented that is.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:41:20 PM by zeusmorg »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:08:21 AM »
I can't get your links to work and anyway I hate looking for pictures elsewhere but from your description and others comments ( who probably got to your pictures). I agree that you have no hope.

A few millivolts seems a likely outcome.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:08:21 AM by Flux »