Author Topic: WinJen made it through 62 MPH winds last night.  (Read 1868 times)

Electron Pump

WinJen made it through 62 MPH winds last night.
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
  Yup, saw 62 of em last night. Made a hell of a racket. Was a major worry fest in my house. All the kids got their covers and pillows and went to the opposite end of the house.  Made my youngest cry. Guess what though, she was the first up and out this morning to see if WinJen was still up. She came back in doing the happy dance.

This is my question about things, when she hits in the area of 10 amps it goes to making a "VERY" very loud sound that I only know how to describe as similar to tying a string on the end of a ruler and swing it around your head. A sound like they use as a sound effect in Australian movies like Croccodile DunDee. All this happens at what I would believe to be right around 55 mph. Is this what you guys refer to as stalling? Or is it a defect in the blades thats causing the tips to go floppy and disturb the air flow for all the other blades.  She just quietly whispers along all the rest of the time. We have fourty mph winds right now and she is fine. When it goes to making this noise it rapidly reduces the rpms. Maby a resonance in the preasure wave on the leading edge of the blade.

F.Y.I. I have a treadmill machine with a 60" six blade Air-X type blade. The motor is 260vdc@5100. Five amps no load.Charging four T-105's.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:47:48 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: WinJen made it through 62 MPH winds last night
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »
At those rpm's it could just be unbalanced vibration, like a car tire on the highway missing a wheel weight.

When the wind calms down, maybe you should think about adding some furling capabilities. Why have you been getting storm force winds like that?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:27:11 PM by dnix71 »

Electron Pump

Re: WinJen made it through 62 MPH winds last night
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
  I believe the ballance is in check. She is so smoothe the rest of the time. I have spent lots of time on the ballance, shes tight! And when I was going through all those issues it had a very different sound. Not at all in the same ballpark. This noise is from an air disturbance.

As far as all of the wind were having here, I believe it is normal for this time of year. To tell you the honest truth, I diddnt pay as much attention to winds before I got into windmills. This is Texas, and I'm right out in the middle of all of It.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:10:43 PM by Electron Pump »

kurt

• website
Re: WinJen made it through 62 MPH
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »
those air-x blades are famous for being very loud in high winds but then so are most small mills without any furling what you are redoubtably hearing is the tips of the blades breaking the sound barrier plus i think the air-x blades are designed to shed speed by flexing like a whip in high winds making even more noise  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:21:31 PM by kurt »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: WinJen made it through 62 MPH
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »
i agree....

those type of blades are noisy...the ak. railroad had a couple of those mills runninng

off to the side of the tracks-with a batt. house nearby--for what i dont know..

you could hear those blades-it seemed a mile away..........................
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:25:17 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: WinJen made it through MPH winds
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:35:44 AM »
Since you like thinking of your machine in the third person let's go in side for a moment . Ride that home run from the batteries thru the diode and up to the brushes  . The rotor is rotating at high rpm and each time the power tranfers to  load the brushes jump and for a millisecond the higher voltage ands together with what is a short circuit .Not really but the batteries gobble up all that the getset can make and then there is the blade noises . I have only heard those blades from recordings. From what Ive heard the tips whip in the wind and thats a little different than  the genset bucking the current so you probably are hearing those sounds and the metal roof .Must be a wild mix with a strong wind . Its cool  your able to share the your projects with your youngsters .
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:35:44 AM by tecker »

popeye

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
I have an air-x and those turkies are noisy. My solution is to remove and replace with a twin bladed wood prop 5 ft in diameter. The noise you are hearing is what air-x calls their overspeed protection. The blades actually cavitates, at least thats what mine do-did. I think it is a consperacy to make people and their neighbors hate wind power. Yah, some big oil anti alternative energy chump desiged these and flooded the market with them. And now everytime you talk to a newby about the benefits of wind power they always ask," Yah, but dont they make alot of noise and keep you up all night?"
  I make a twin bladed prop that out performs air-x in every department. Mine are dead quiet and they are more powerfull. And the best part is that they are realy easy to build and mount. No hub to fuss with and they are super strong. My concept is dont furl just build strong enough to take it, no matter what. Use all that extra energy you are getting from the high winds. Heck in my house hold when the wind blows hard its time to really start using the power.
  Just one thing, I will send pics if you would like but earlier attempts of mine to do so failed. Does anybody know the secret to do this?
  Sounds like you have some great wind. You need two or three more of those puppies, Use the excess power to produce hydrogen. And then use that to heat your house and cook with.  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:54:43 PM by popeye »

Electron Pump

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »
  Hello Popeye, man that sounds good. Certainly something I would be intrested in learning more about. E-mail me and lets see if we can figure out how to move some of those photo files.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:32:34 PM by Electron Pump »

luv2weld

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »
Can you add me to that list???

I'd like to know about those blades too.

Ralph

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 09:02:40 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!