Author Topic: My Lenz II build with pics  (Read 1486 times)

rfrink

My Lenz II build with pics
« on: June 19, 2009, 02:27:58 PM »
Hello everyone!!

New guy here...

It's been a year since I first found this site and posted my first question. Since then, I've only looked without touching....untill a few weeks ago when I started construction on my first turbine. I decided to do a Lenz II.

Not really knowing what I was getting into and out of fear of it self destructing, I think I went with a "robust" design based on a welded steel "space frame" with an Aluminum skinned wings.

The wing construction has 4 steel ribs, welded to 2 square tubing spars and a 3/16" trailing edge section. Then skinned with .030 aluminum.

All of the parts were laser cut. The spars and trailing edges have precut holes for rivets that secure the wing skin...which is was also precut. The ribs have locating tabs that fit into the spars for "dummy-proof" alignment.

All the structure parts in the wing clicked together and were welded.

After painting, they recieved the skins.

The skin was first riveted to the cord spar, then pulled around and riveted to the trailing edge.....then the remaining spar. I was very pleased at how well it worked. I love it when I plan comes together!! In just a few minutes...all 3 wings were done.

I chose to use a stationary spindle with rotating hubs/bearing carriers.

The alternator is the basic twin rotor, 12 pole design that is nicely described on Ed's website.

My first attempt used 8" disks and I had troubles getting the coils packed into the stator in the desired positions. I felt like I was trying to get 10 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb bag. Out of frutration, I abandoned my first attempt, took what I learned and tried again. My next alternator is currently being built on 9" disks. When I burned the disks, I put notches every 30 degrees on the OD which was used to align the magnets. Another attempt to "dummy-proof" everything.

After a quickie with a can of my favorite rust-o-leum...

The rotating assembly was put together:

One of my design goals was to be able to easily change the wings...just unbolt them..and bolt something else in place.

That's where I'm at right now. Behind the scenes, I've nearly finshed the tower. It's made from rectangular steel tubing : 4X4X 3/16" wall. At 18' tall, I'm planning to secure it to the side of my shop wall which is made from concrete block. It should get the Lenz about 4-6' above the roof.  

I haven't cast the stator yet...but I was able to wind the coils. I need to make a stator mold.

That's all for now. I'm new to this board and learning the controls as I type...I hope these pics show up OK.

Whattaya think so far??

-Rob

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:27:58 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: My Lenz II build with pics
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »
I am impressed.  I like the hot-swappable blades.

I think this is another of those examples of a shop being TOO clean.

I think I need a couple of those machines in the background, even if I don't know what they are.

I think the photos are a great example of the details that can be shown at 20~25kb.

G-

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:48:49 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

zeusmorg

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
 That is a very nice looking build! Impressed.

I wish i had that facilities to do a build like that.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:19:29 AM by zeusmorg »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
Corr, I'm drooling.

Wish I had 1/10th the skills and facilities that you are demonstrating there!  B>

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:13:04 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

brokengun

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:35:15 AM »
Very nice, this makes me more interested in VAWTs than ever before....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:35:15 AM by brokengun »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
I love the way it looks and goes together.

I'm thinking you have an airplane in your backyard...

Zenith... Savannah...?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:42:32 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »
Very nice.

I also built an alternator using Ed's wedge magnets and 8" discs. I understand why you went to 9" discs although I think 10" would have been better. Perhaps Ed can give you some advice on the stator since you may be better off overlapping the coils, something Ed knows well, and something your skills could handle.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:32:42 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
It may be clean but you can see a LOT of projects have passed over that bench.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:29:16 PM by fabricator »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:33:43 PM »
It looks like you used a plasma table to burn the parts out, enhanced plasma maybe?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:33:43 PM by fabricator »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

windy

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
Nice looking project!

Just a comment on your picture of the two rotors with the magnets installed. Putting them that close together to get the picture could have been an accident waiting to happen. If those two plate came together and flipped on top of each other, I can only imagine what might have happened.

windy

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:58:28 PM by windy »
I don't claim to be an electrical engineer. I just know enough to keep from getting electrocuted.

rfrink

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
Thank you all for the very kind words!!

I made more progress today. Not on the VAWT..but on the tower:

I had a few hurdles to jump....mainly, I don't have a crane and I want to be able to hoist a Turbine up and down when ever I want. So I fab-ed up a Boom Jib for the shop fork lift.  The fork lift goes about 14' high...which is about the same as my roof...the boom attachment is 7-1/2'.  If I did my math right, I should be able to get the Lenz up with a foot or so to spare. I've played with so many numbers...that my brain is numb and I hope everything fits when the time comes.

After I raised it, I welded the brackets that bolt through the wall...then brought everything back in the shop for paint.  It's drying now and I'll put it up for good tomorrow.

Once in place, I'll have a plateform that can be used for a variety of mills.  

That's all for now.

Thanks again!!

-Rob

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:45:20 PM by rfrink »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
Rob.

That is a very professional first posting on the forum, I love it.

I sincerely hope, with your workshop skills/equipment and Ed's (hopefully) input something good can be achieved from the VAWT design.

Good luck sir.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:44:30 PM by gotwind2 »