Author Topic: 2nd wind tunnel test.  (Read 2015 times)

Jerry

2nd wind tunnel test.
« on: June 28, 2009, 04:32:59 AM »
No pictures but I did get more acurate #s. I used the small hand held anemometer.

I mounted it on a 3"X12"X 3/4" pice of plywood. At the other end I mounted A B&W security camera.

This is then hard wired to a security monitor that has 4 video inputs. I'm usin a second camera to keep an eye on the amp meter and volt meter.

I send a video out signal to a VCR. The small hand held anemometer gives almost instant wind speed and wind speed change.

So now I can see real time #s and a record of the event. I changed the 50 amp analog amp meter to a 10 amp analog meter. This gives a more acurate reading on these 2 low power wind generators I've been testing (the Hugh Piggott 4ft and my 14-11 4ft).

I'm going to swap out the analog amp meter for a digital amp meter.

Todays wind speed comairison was at 14 mph.

Hughs 4 ft at 14 mph 12.034 volts at 1.9 amps for 22.86 watts.

14-11 4 ft at 14 mph 12.378 volts at 2.6 amps for 32.18 watts

I feel much better about these #s. More acuracy. It still may not be real world acuracy but both machines are being tested by the same equipment, same blade under the axact same conditions.

The next step is to see what effect Hughs blade will have.

There is a slight diferance in rpm of the 2 fan drive motors. Although these motors are the same model.

I think this effects the way the wind hits the genny blade 1 side VS the other.

To correct this I'm going to add a pully to each motor and add a belt at that point to tie the 2 motors rpms together.

This will make sure that all 4 blades a spinning at the same rpm.

I think the effect will be a more steady wind speed, less turbulance and higher top end.

So these are some of the upgrades so far and there will be more to come.

I will try to post the stills of the video somehow? My wife has a VCR to DVD burner.

I may go that route then upload the DVD some how. This is were I need a coumputer Geek?

Jerry

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:32:59 AM by (unknown) »

stop4stuff

Re: 2nd wind tunnel test.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:49:18 PM »
Sounds like you're having too much fun Jerry.

Easiest way i found to grab off of VCR tape for upload to the internet was to use a usb video grabber & record the footage in Windows Movie Maker (stock software on my XP setup) straight off the VCR with the tape playing. If you need any help with the video side of things, shoot me an email, paul[at]stop4stuff[dot]com

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:49:18 PM by stop4stuff »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 05:34:57 AM »
Jerry;

Most computers make an .iso file and then burn that to the DVD.

If you make a DVD on the computer have it keep the .iso file and then you can upload that file and others could watch or make a dvd from it.

Actually, unless it is a very long movie you could have her make it into an .mp3 or other video file and upload that someplace. They are awfully big files so they may not be appropriate to upload to otherpowers' user files. You could edit your video to just the readings you want to share. No need for an hour of slightly varying values on a set of meters.

There are lots of places you could upload it to like youtube but I don't know much about youtube.

Lots of ways to share videos and if you want I could email you with some ideas.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the share!

Tom

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:34:57 AM by TomW »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 09:14:28 AM »
Thanks for the sugjestions Tom W & stop4stuff.  I'll first gather information from a bunch more machines plus I'm still refineing the wind tunnel.

Maybe by the end of sommer I should have all the bugs worked out and be ready post some solid #s and pictures from a larger group of machines and blades.

I've got alot of gennys and blades to test and reveiw. I'd like to have a broader group to report on.

I'll take the kind help offer when I'm ready to do the down loads or is it uploads?

I e-mailed the Hornet folks a while back to get some real prefomance #s but got no responce.

I told them I was going to post the real #s I get from my older Hornet. I gues they don't mind?

Well this is fun.

Jerry

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:14:28 AM by Jerry »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »
"Photobucket" is so easy to use, even I can do it.  And without help!

Plus it resizes to your choice of quality, the viewing is streaming video (my wife says that is good), and it works with Macs.

G-
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:53:47 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »
I love it! For once I don't feel alone in thinking that maybe I was the only one who occasionally had to take the Rube Goldberg approach to data logging! LMAO

Steve

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:58:29 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

brokengun

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
I would recommend using Youtube as well. Glad to hear you're making progress on this rig! I haven't seen much in this area of tinkering, if I do see a homebrew wind tunnel it's normally a lot smaller.

Can't wait to see video and hopefully some good data on it. Keep the updates coming!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:17:47 PM by brokengun »