Author Topic: TLG Boast Buster blades tested.  (Read 1932 times)

Jerry

TLG Boast Buster blades tested.
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:29:37 AM »
I't got to hot this afternoon on the roof I'm replacing on my house.

So I did a test of the TLG Boast Buster blades on my modifide Hornet wind generator.

Only went up to 10 mph. The Busters started to spin at 5.8 mph. However at 10 mph I saw no activity on the amp meter. So I checked everything to see if there was a problem, none found?

I decided to see what the no load open voltage was at 10 mph. The meter read 6.5 volts, this was a 12 volt test.

So I put the stock Hornet blades back on the genny and tested again. This time the blades started to spin at 7.4 mph but by 8.1 mph the amp meter began to respond.

At 10 mph it was reading 1.45 amps.

I'll do the truck mounted test of these blades next. That will allow some MPHs up to 30 or more?

At first glance the TLGs apear to be a much slower blade. They are definetly very heavy compaired to the Hornets. It also apears as though the TLG will have a large amount of tourque at the expence of RPM?

At this point however I'm not sure and the truck mounted test may change these test results?

The GM-Hornet alt I'm using has been modified. You can see the mods in my diary about the Hornet wind tunnel tests.

Here are a few pictures.

Not sure when I can get back to testing though?

Jerry

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:29:37 AM by (unknown) »

richhagen

Re: TLG Boast Buster blades tested.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »
Maybe those TLG blades were designed to work on a lower rpm alternator?  I don't know much about them, but as you noted, with the higher solidity, they appear to be designed to operate at a lower tsr.  Rich
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:19:43 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »
Hi Rich.

The TLGs are sold as an upgrade blade for your Hornet wind genny. The Hornet is a GM car alt.

I think they'll do OK on a axial flux? I'll be testing them on several types on gennies.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:07:29 PM by Jerry »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »
Seems an odd design for a higher speed alternator.  I suspect you'll get better results with Hugh's style of wooden blades that you got from your cabinet maker.  Rich
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:22:08 PM by richhagen »

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »
By the way, did your robot from 'robots for RE' survive the fire or was he a casualty. . . enquiring  minds want to know.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:23:43 PM by richhagen »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:26:06 AM »
Fortunetly Zoom was not at the store during the fire. He'se been hibernating since that story.

I'm sure he'll be pleased with your concern. I'll tell him people are thinking of him LOL.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:26:06 AM by Jerry »