Author Topic: Workshop at Eagle Rock High School  (Read 4736 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Workshop at Eagle Rock High School
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:10 AM »

We had an interesting workshop last week (Feb 2010).  We were asked to give a 5 day workshop on wind energy at Eagle Rock High School near Estes Park Colorado.  Estes Park is, as the crow flies, less than 10 miles South of us here, it's a 75 miles drive though.  It's an interest 'non traditional' high school for students who were not doing well in more traditional schools.  Most of the students are not from Colorado, but rather come from larger cities across the US (like LA, New York, etc).  The campus is beautiful, set on 640 acres in the mountains at about 8000 feet elevation.  The school is completely funded by Honda Motors of America.  All of the students and most of the staff stay on campus.

We began our workshop on Monday morning, starting with the basics:  what is power, what is energy, where does energy come from, what is wind...  how do we convert energy in the wind into electricity.  The shop space was large, clean and wells stocked with tools.  We had 12 students.

We took lunch break every day at noon.  Food at the cafeteria there is pretty incredible... mostly organic, very healthy and very gormet.  Students that attend this school have a lot to be grateful for, I've never seen such a neat high school.  After lunch on Monday we got down to building a 10 foot diameter wind turbine.  We started by winding a few coils for the stator.  Then we divided the group into 3 stations:  wood working, metal working, and alternator fabrication.

Scotty brought laminated cedar blade blanks.  Pictured above he's explaining the layout for the blades to all the students.

Issack clipped the leads on the coils and cleaned off the insulation.

Scotty helped Scotty to cut out the profile of the blades on the bandsaw.

Shawni cut out the fiberglass rings to reinforce the stator.

Pictured above all the coils are wired together, almost ready for casting.

Eddie, Issack and Shawni glue the coils together with bits of fiberglass and cyanocrylate glue.

All roughing out of the blades was done with a drawknife.  They were finished with hand planes, spoke shaves and scrapers.  A bit of sanding was done at the end but very little...

Almost everybody got a bit of welding experience with George.

Pictured above George fixes the welder...  we had some trouble with it but overall it worked well.  This poor welder has not seen any use in about 5 years and it's been sitting outside under a tarp.  

Everybody got to handle the magnets when we built the magnet rotors.  Only one student got pinched...

There's the stator ready to cast.  This is a 48 Volt machine, each coil has 140 turns of 16AWG wire.

Issack fills the mold with Vinyl Ester Resin.  We did this in the garage outside where we had pretty good ventalation.

We banded the magnet rotors with stainless steel and cast the magnets in a mixture of vinyl ester resin, ATH, and chopped fiberglass.

The stator came out nice with almost no defects.  Pictured above Diana is deburring the edges with sand paper while Lauren cleans caulk off the magnet rotors.

Julian works towards finishing the front of a blade with a spoke shave.

Diana with the finished stator.

Lauren cut out the tail vane with some sort of strange japanese hand saw.

Scotty and John kept the wood tools sharp.

Chris is a pretty good mandolin player!

At the end of the day on Wednesday they had the metal work all tacked together for the 10 foot wind turbine.

Chris carved one blade pretty much all by himself... it came out very nicely.

Diana and Jeffrey worked towards completing a second stator.

The students have to do KP  (kitchen patrol) duties sometimes....  George decided to join them on Wednesday night.  

The metal work was primed and painted... outside.

Julian and Jeffrey test the alternator with a lightbulb.  At this point it only had the back magnet rotor mounted.

The tail vane was painted with the school emblem.

Chris decided to do some dentistry on himself I guess....

Pictured above the wind turbine is about finished.  We only have left to assemble and install the blades.

We setup two jacking screws as a 'commutator' and a piece of wire as a brush and turned the alternator into a DC motor.

At the end of the day on Thursday we layed out the blades and started to assemble them.

Diana, Shawni, and Eddie fit the blades to the machine.

Issack and Scotty balanced the blades with lead weights.

On Friday, we discussed the economics of small wind power....  basically the point was, it costs quite a bit more than grid power, even if you build your own equipment.

At the end of it all, the students had to give a presentation about what they did.. and what they learned, in front of all the students and staff.  They did a great job I thought ~ we had a fun week.  It's a great community at Eagle Rock!  Big thanks to all the students and staff... it was a pleasure to be up there!

After it was all over we went out lunch.  I shot the picture above from the window of the car where we parked... this is pretty typical of Estes Park, the elk are everywhere.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:51:10 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

youmanskids

Re: Workshop at Eagle Rock High School
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:33:33 AM »
excellent job,  the impact you had on those kids, I'm sure, is unmeasureable.  on behalf of our society, thank you!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:33:33 AM by youmanskids »
Praise be to God of the universe, who gives us WIND for power.

TimS

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
Really awesome!

You guys are great.  Thanks for sharing this!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:51:46 AM by TimS »

halfcrazy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
It is really encouraging to see young possibly troubled youth take an interest and have some great teachers as well. Thank you for your service on this one I bet you guys had a blast as well.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:12:41 AM by halfcrazy »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »
They need a better dress code, the girls wear pajama bottoms to school?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:43:02 AM by fabricator »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »
It's fashionable to look like that...

But I figure those are heavy sweat pants.

By the hats and jackets, it looks a bit chilly in there.

Nice work guys!

(students included)

G-

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:22:03 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

David HK

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
Its always nice to read articles like this.

However, could I assure all readers that Spring and Summer are on the way.

Here in Hong Kong the mango trees have finished blossoming and fruits are forming, leaves are appearing on deciduous trees, the orchids are forming flower buds, and on some days its T shirts and shorts around noon.

David in HK

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:04:04 PM by David HK »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
 Great posting guys and as always an inspiration to the students as well I'm sure.

Just a quick question on the stator mold. It looks like you have a more permanant arrangement other than wood ? Is this some kind of plexiglass and do you still need a release agent of some kind ? It looks like also the center section is removable and or maybe the whole mold is several pieces ?

Thanks for the info. and if this works better than the wooden standby that gets beat up from trying to get the stator out it would be a big improvement, kudos to you guys if you have the answer here.

Dave B.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:36:46 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
It looks like UHMW.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:22:54 PM by fabricator »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »
I like the hack with the brush on the jacking screws turning the alternator into a motor.

A variant might be useful to do dynamic balancing of the blades.  Slow rotation to keep them from moving too much air, but enough motion to get the mill to wig-wag on a test stand.

Don't put current through the bearings.  (See the stuff on electrodynamic machining...)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:07:36 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

brokengun

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
That looks like it was an excellent time. Looks like everyone had a lot of fun and those kids got some really unique experience.

I always enjoy talking to middle school students about science and engineering topics. The past few years I've done a presentation at the same middle school, there is always a couple of kids who just go nuts. This year I hope to do one on my wind turbine project and I hope they'll enjoy it as much as these guys did.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:26:07 PM by brokengun »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 07:09:25 AM »
Hi Dave - we've been using that same plastic mold now for a few years, I expect perhaps 150 stators have come out of it.

It's just made from HDPE (high density polyethylene)  - one of the cheaper plastics you can buy.  I had it water jet cut.  We don't take the center out (we could... but never need to).  for perhapsthe first 20 stators or so we didn't require any mold release but as it's gotten older/scratched up a bit of wax helps.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:09:25 AM by DanB »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the tip on the stator mold. We've beat up a couple wooden molds but we are using Wests System Epoxy and have not used the Vinyl Ester yet. Do you have an opinion as to the releasability (is that a word ?) of epoxy with this HDPE ? We didn't know if you had used epoxy with this mold or not or possibly a successful release agent if you had.

Sometimes with the wooden mold and hard paste wax everything works fine with the epoxy but for some reason once in a while we basically need to destroy the mold to get it out.

If we were to try the Vinyl Ester do you have a reliable source for it ? We are familiar with Wests Epoxy because of the Marine applications around here and it's amazing stuff and pricey. We know also that it may not be able to take the heat like Vinyl but by keeping the output where it should be this is no problem.

You experience temperature extremes like we do here, the vinyl seems very hard compared with Epoxy. This is one reason we have been hesitant to try the vinyl, thinking about cracking. Do you add anything to it for the stator to possibly avoid cracking ? Thank you Dan for your suggestions.

Dave B.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:42:25 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
Hi Dave ~

this stuff is just my 'opinion' based on pretty limited experience.  I've used a little west systems epoxy for magnet rotors and stators.  I think it's probably the best choice for magnet rotors but I much prefer the vinyl ester for stators.  I believe it withstands higher temps, it's harder/less flexible (or at least it seems that way).

That said... like you said, so long as you keep the output within reason either is likely going to work fine.

Vinyl Ester is much cheaper though and for me (who is allergic to epoxy) much less toxic.  A reliable source is US composits: shopmaninc.com

I buy 5 gallons at a time, the cost is reasonable.  I mix it with ATH which you can also get from the same folks.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:04:46 PM by DanB »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
Thanks again Dan. I checked out their site and I guess I'm a bit confused about mixing Aluminum powder in the stator ? Is this just for the heat issue and not for any strength concerns such as using chopped glass ? It seems like mixing Aluminum in the stator goes against the grain a bit, maybe I'm off base and just don't understand. Thank you for your help and patience Dan,  Dave B.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:45:18 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 05:03:21 AM »
Very nice I know you had an interesting time with youngsters that have been om the umbilical for the most of their life . Nice idea getting kids away from an environment that's not working ,although specialized tuning has seen it's day .  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:03:21 AM by tecker »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:09 AM »
Hi Dave - its not so much Aluminum... it's Alumina trihydrate, its a fairly heavy white powder, not a lot different than talc (seems heavier).

It just saves on resin, I think it makes the casting tougher and hit helps a little bit (I think) with thermal conductivity.  they suggest using it in big castings because of thermal conductivity.

I dont worry about using chopped fiberglass in there, I've never had a problem with stators cracking/breaking really.  I do use chopped fiberglass in magnet rotors though (because I have seen those crack).

It makes for a tough stator casting.  A few weeks ago we had a defective/shorted stator.  We wasted several hours trying to fix it... finally (for fun) I smashed it on the concrete floor as hard as I could...  surprisingingly, the short vanished and although the stator cracked in several places it stayed together fine and is still 'workable' (that said, I would never use it...).

I'd just say give it a shot, probably if you start working with these materials you'll come up with some valuable ideas/opinions!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:10:09 AM by DanB »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
Dan,

I guess I was fooled thinking that Aluminum was used more in the metal sense. I think we'll give it a try to learn more of what's available and also to save a few bucks besides. Do you have a ratio of ATH to the vinyl that seems to work well ? Sorry for all the questions and I promise I'm done now. This is new to us and we'd just like to start in the ballpark of what seems to work well.

I have camped at Estes Park, this was a long time ago but it sure is beautiful out there. What a great thing to haved shared time with those students like you guys did.  Dave B.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:39:38 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
Dave ~

Perhaps I worry too much about the viscosity of the resin I pour...  in my shop, temperature varies quite a bit.  With warm resin I tend to use more filler (ATH) than I do when the resin is cold.

So typically I mix between 25-50% ATH with the resin (By volume).

That said... I don't think it's something to get too picky about.  I've cast lots of stators with no filler at all and they've been fine (My 20' turbine is solid polyester w/no filler and it's held up fine) and I've seen stators poured with resin (if you could call it poured) that has the consistency of peanut butter... and they worked fine.

I like the resin a bit runny because I think it penetrates the coils better.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:46:34 PM by DanB »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
Thank you Dan, we'll give the Vinyl and ATH a try and we need a new mold so will try the HDPE as well. I agree about a thin pour and it penetrating well, this I liked about the Wests Epoxy also. This might be a little while yet to get everything together but we will let you know how it all goes when we can get to it. Many thanks, Dave B.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:47:52 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems