Author Topic: Cyclone affected back shed ?!!  (Read 2319 times)

gizmo

• The Back Shed
Cyclone affected back shed ?!!
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:13:29 AM »
Tom hope you dont mind me posting this.

Thebackshed web site is currenly down due to wide spread power failures caused by cyclone Ului. Hopefully it should be back up in the next 24 hours.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/21/2851870.htm

First cyclone I've been through, scary stuff I tell ya. Lot of power in the wind!

Glenn

No Worries, Glenn. I consider your site a sister site as well as being a darned good resource. So I bumped it up to the front page. Hope things sort out quickly. TW

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:13:29 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Cyclone affected back shed ?!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:44:22 AM »
Stay safe Glenn, and the rest of you Down Under guys too.

G-
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:44:22 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
Hope you get the site up soon,

but then I want to know how you used that cyclone power . . .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:00:50 AM by wooferhound »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:58 AM »
Yikes.  Hope the turbines survived.  But more important, hope you all get through it safe and sound.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:26:58 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:17:51 PM »
Hydrologist is an interesting job Class . The cane crop was a good discussion point . Most would have chalked up a corn crop . You must have been in an over speed condition . So the chargers came out ok ?  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:17:51 PM by tecker »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:06 PM »
Thanks Tom
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:42:06 PM by gizmo »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:50:50 PM »
Power still out, maybe another day. Bugger. The phones have been coming and going all day too.

All my wind turbines have been down for a few months, I'm moving house so its all packed up. Lucky. I'm running on battery at the moment, using a engine driven car alternator to top them up every few hours. I have a little TV going now, and just ordered fish and chips for dinner, happy as.

Glenn

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:50:50 PM by gizmo »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »
The sites back up.  :)

Running as slow as an old dog, one ADSL line is still down and the servers are processing a lot of email.

Glenn

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:39:22 PM by gizmo »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »
on The Weather Channel they had a comment that tourists in the cyclone area were dumpster diving for food
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:21:45 PM by wooferhound »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »
The area the cyclone hit dead on is a big tourism center, back packer central, called Airlie Beach. Its about 100km (60mile) north of my home town. No power means no refrigeration, so all the fresh food is dumped into the dumpsters. But there is heaps of other stuff to eat, packet food. I think the backpacker eating out of a dumpster was trying to get some publicity and being a sook, its not like people are starving to death after two days.

Water is a bit of a problem, there's a chance its contaminated, so they will need to stick to bottle water or boil the tap water for a while.

Glenn

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:59:07 PM by gizmo »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:13:17 AM »
Still having a few problems over here. Big problem is the damage to the power network and its effect on the phone network.

TheBackShed lives on a server at a local ISP, Orion Online. Orion is about 10km out of town, and is connected to a small unmaned telephone exchange.

These small exchanges have a 50v battery bank, usually made of individual 2v lead acid cells. The cells are well made, and have a life of 20 years, but are replaced after 10 as a rule. The most interesting things you notice about these cells is the clear case, so you can see the condition of the plates, and the 2inch space between the bottom of the plates and the case floor. This space slowly fills up with lead flakes as they fall off the cells, the space means a much longer life before the flakes start to short out the plates, or so I was told as an apprentice. One of my jobs was to wipe the batteries clean and check the specific gravity every few weeks.

Anyway, the battery bank is there to keep the exchange running for a few hours in the event of a power failure, enough time to send out a portable generator to keep the exchange alive. The problem is, after a cyclone, there may be 50 or more of these exchanges without power, and not enough generators to go around. So after a few hours, the phone exchanges start shutting down. The bigger exchanges have a build in diesel generator that starts automatically and has enough fuel to run for many days.

So the exhange that feeds TheBackShed has been down for a couple of days. Early today the power company managed to get power back on to the exchange, but Orion Online is still without power. Orion has been running a portable generator to get the servers up and running. Tonight its offline again, the generator has been running all day and they decided to shut it down for the evening and fire it back up in the morning for the business web sites and mail.

Long few days, but what can you do. Time for a beer.

Glenn

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:13:17 AM by gizmo »

domwild

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »
Glenn,

Sorry to hear of the disaster. Cracking a tinnie is a solution to life's problems as:

"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of drugs!"

Keep smiling. A friend of mine has a house at Airlie Beach and he is on holiday in Tasmania at the moment. I hope his house has not been damaged. Perth suffered a hailstorm and many houses are without power.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:53:42 AM by domwild »