Author Topic: To Bill  (Read 951 times)

edy252

To Bill
« on: July 14, 2004, 05:22:44 AM »
hi Bill...i've posted this b4, but it gone off the board of new messages...so here it is again

i've seen your comment in Dan's diary about your 2.4 m rotor.....( u mentioned that u have 8 magnets, 6 coils of #12 @ 150 turns)....can u please give me more details about ur genny.....(magnet size, connection type, rectifiers, etc.....)

thx in advance

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 05:22:44 AM by (unknown) »

billf

Re: To Bill
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 07:00:48 AM »
The mags are 1 1/8" disc neos doubled up(i bought them from otherpower before the thicker ones started showing up.)The thicknes is 3/16 ea. disc I think. The coils are 12awg @150 turns. As of now the connection is 3ph delta. This has seemed to work out well. I had it hooked up 3ph star last year and smoked the original stator after several days of high winds. The unit starts to furl about 16-28mph but still puts out a fair amount of power while it's furled. Anyway power is run through a high power/high temp rectifier block from "www.rfparts.com" . I've noticed surplus center has something similar for a better price. The prop is 8' dia. from douglas fir. TSR is about 8. Pretty fast I know. Someday I'll get some of the thicker mags and make a new set of rotors up, then I can make a new prop that has a lower tsr. As of now it's been up 2 years and survived another massive storm last night. Build them heavy and build them right.

Front View

Furling during high winds

Control panel with rectifier inside box with gauges. Heat sink now has temp controlled cooling fans blowing across it.

Inside the rectifier box.

Anyway the unit will be coming down today for maintenance, painting the blades (a lot of farm field dust in the air) and the additon of a bearing mount under the pipe mount so low wind yawing will be enhanced (I hope).

billf

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 07:00:48 AM by billf »

JeroenH

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:02:21 AM »
Wow! Extremely professional job on the installation!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 08:02:21 AM by JeroenH »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 10:44:36 AM »
Hear hear!

Especially like the closed bus box.  (Is that a metal panel behind it all, or just painted drywall?)

Don't forget to mud the joints in the drywall.  (You can always cut 'em open again if you need to work in the wall some more.)  It's a firewall if something catches on the panel side and spreads to the room contents.  Open joints make a significant difference in fire holdoff times and there's LOTS of havoc to be had from the energy in your batteries.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 10:44:36 AM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

edy252

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 11:47:33 AM »
thanks a lot for your reply....just one more thing to ask.....how much power are you getting at what speed?

thx in advance

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 11:47:33 AM by edy252 »

billf

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 09:03:52 PM »
To all:  Output has been ok. It will peak at over 60amps @16vdc while furled. In a 10-12 mph wind 100-120 watts. So overall not bad. With all that copper the unit puts out gobs of power but remember there is a 65' downlead (8awg) and 140' or so of supply (2awg) to the house. Readings were taken after the wire run and rectified. So my guess Any way is a 30% loss from wiring at least. The unit was one of the first ones built from Hugh's old plans.  Now with cheaper and stronger mags and more R&D the guys are getting good power in lower winds.

The drywall has been finished and painted for some time. And the backing is 3/4" plywood. Everything is in conduit and wiring is fused out the wazoo. I'm not worried. Been doing this stuff for a while.

Here is the main panel

And here are the 1.4kw solar arrays

billf

« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 09:03:52 PM by billf »