Author Topic: magnet rotor  (Read 802 times)

Dakota

magnet rotor
« on: January 16, 2005, 12:30:47 AM »
I would like to build my first wind generator and have been looking for plates to make the magnetic rotors. I have found a 13 inch pulley off a combine, it has a 3.5 inch hole in the center. The pulley is actually two plates riveted together,each plate is 3/16 thick. If separated each disk could be used for a dual rotor generator. The inside dimension is 12 inches to the tapered lip. The raised lip is just over a 1/2 deep and it would make a perfect dam for the resin when setting the magnets... no mold used. My question is will 3/16 be thick enough for the 12 inch rotor. I know there a many different types and sizes of these pulleys available for almost nothing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 12:30:47 AM by (unknown) »

wiredwrong

Re: magnet rotor
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 06:32:58 PM »
Its my understanding that the plates should be thick enough so that a paper clip will not stick to the back side for best results. I think I'd place the magnets on the plates and see if it sticks, If it don't... use them. if the paper clip has a srong attraction to the plates I would try and find a thicker plate.

You didn't mention the size of the magnets so I would have to say that its gonna be pretty hard to say if the plates are thick enough for your intended use.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 06:32:58 PM by wiredwrong »

picmacmillan

Re: magnet rotor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 07:50:34 PM »
like wiredwrong says....try to see if anything will stick from the back as the magnets feild will leak out the back instead of going out the front.....i am going to guess already that the plates are too thin....i used 1/4"(.250) and some use even thicker 3/8 (.375)...pickster...also, are they solid steel or some alloy?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 07:50:34 PM by picmacmillan »