Author Topic: 12 volt starters  (Read 1014 times)

TimV

12 volt starters
« on: April 09, 2005, 08:06:43 PM »
Hi

Dont follow this section much but am getting more interested each day the price of oil goes up....

Can a car or truck starter be used as a generator for a windmill or would they be of too high an amperage to be used? They are 12 or 24 dc motors correct? Just curious. Thank You Tim
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 08:06:43 PM by (unknown) »

Vernon

Re: 12 volt starters
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 02:41:23 PM »
A starter is a series wound motor, it is designed to generate the necessary field from the high current, perhaps 150 - 200 amperes, that flows while the engine is cranking. A conversion would be possible if the field were rewound with smaller wire and connected in parallel with the armature. Other considerations would be the fact that it is designed for intermittant use and would not dissipate the heat generated at a current much above what you could get out of an alternator. The bearings would also be short lived in continuous operation.

24V aircraft generators are available with ratings up to several hundred amperes, could generate 14.2V by simple reduction of the field voltage - and would be a good choice for a large wind generator. Generators, both aircraft and automotive have somewhat better efficiency than alternators but require more maintenance. Due to the requirement for (and losses of) electrical field power, automotive alternators are suitable for larger diameter wind turbines that can produce 14.2V and 30 AMPS in your average wind while exciting the field and supplying belt drive losses... this means around 600 watts of mechanical power.

I would forget the starter and look in the direction of big blades, like a gyrocopter rotor .... driving a 200 AMP large case marine alternator (or the aircraft generator) with a 20 to one belt ratio. You need serious power to make a real dent in your utility bill or run a normal residence and that means a 12 MPH or better average wind and a large diameter turbine.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 02:41:23 PM by Vernon »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 02:54:35 PM »
 No ...first off they aren't PM motors they usually have field windings and if they do have PM field the armature windings are way too heavy.

These are about the cheapest motors for the

money I have found...

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/3/11/193835/821

I think with the heavy flywheel it makes the $10

motor cost about that much for shipping charges,

but even at that I consider it a bargain.

Hope this helps...

probably wasn't the answer you wanted to hear...

Have Fun!

( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 02:54:35 PM by Norm »

newguy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:40:30 AM »
ive taken a tractor startor apart and they have electromagnets for the magnets did that make sense well yeah so i dont think starters are a good choice because there are no pm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 12:40:30 AM by newguy »

kitno455

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 08:44:49 AM »
most japanese cars have PM starters with a 3 gear planetary reduction unit. 6 small curved ceramics, 1.75 inch long on the 4 cyl cars, 2.5 inch long on the mini vans. toyota starters have ball bearings at both ends of the motor, but the mags are glued in. small VW is similar bosch starter, magnets a little thinner and harder to get out.

the mags, shafts and toyota bearings are useful. the heavy windings and brushes, not so much.

allan

« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 08:44:49 AM by kitno455 »