Author Topic: Tower clamps  (Read 1668 times)

eraser

Tower clamps
« on: May 11, 2005, 07:17:43 AM »
I want to build a 45ft tower similar to the tower made for the air x , and was wondering where to get or what to use as a replacment,

the tower clamps that join the two 1 1/2 pipes together and attach the gye wires to.

What do you use to join your pipe sections together and attach the guy cables to the pole.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:17:43 AM by (unknown) »

kenputer

Re: Tower clamps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 05:16:23 AM »
I used 11/2" sched. 40 pipe screwed and welded together with riser clamps on each side of coupling and joined the clamps ,this has been up since last summer and we have had some 100 km winds and it works great.You can also use the riser clamps to put your guy wires to.You can get the riser clamps at plumbing suppy stores.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 05:16:23 AM by kenputer »

kitno455

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 07:40:04 AM »
uhm, what the heck is that? it looks like the tower tubes are welded? all that pre-bent metal hanging out there seems to offer little strength....

allan

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:40:04 AM by kitno455 »

kenputer

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 08:25:05 PM »
Those are called riser clamps and are used to support black iron heating pipes and are plenty strong,I think it is the bend and crimp in them that has all the strenth,my tower has withstood all that has been blown at it and living on the coast in Nova Scotia we get some good gales. So far this month we have had about a week of weather with winds in the 50 to 80 km range with gusts well above that. Unless someone climbs up and takes the bolts out of these clamps I wont worry about the joints. I feel doing it this way gives me three things that have to fail before the joint would ever come apart, threads would have to give way,weld would have to break and bolts would have to come out of riser clamps. might not be pretty but works like a charm!

(sorry for the dbl.pic) I wanted to show the pivot I made for my tower from ideas posted here.. Thanks

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 08:25:05 PM by kenputer »