Author Topic: Newbie question about 12v/24v/48v systems  (Read 1414 times)

jorjenzak

Newbie question about 12v/24v/48v systems
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:14:58 PM »
I am trying to learn as much as I can to determine what route to take when I build my wind turbine system.

I understand that a higher voltage system has advantages over a 12v system in terms of efficiency and line loss reduction.

It appears that a higher voltage system results in higher rpms before the system "cuts in", which I understand to mean the turbine has to reach higher speeds before it starts to generate usable electricity to charge a battery bank.  Correct or not?

If so, then since I am in a low wind speed location (mid-missouri) won't a 24v or 48v system result in my turbine generating usable electricity less often than a 12v system?  If I want to maximize low wind speed electricity generation aren't I better off with a 12v system with lower cut in speed so that I generate power more often and presumably more power over all?

Any help in explaining the theory in lay men's terms to clarify my understanding of this basic starting point to designing a system would be appreciated.  I had been leaning towards a 48v system but now am thinking that might be counter productive given my low average wind speeds here.

Jordan

« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:14:58 PM by (unknown) »

alcul8r

Re: Newbie question about 12v/24v/48v systems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:25:19 PM »
Jordan,

What do you want to do with your system?

If you want a few lights and a radio for a weekend cabin, go with the 12 volts.  There's lots of accessories for living, cooking, etc that will go with it.

If you are talking significant power and an inverter, one of the higher voltages would be better because you don't have to run so much copper to get the power where you need it.

As far as cut-in speed, this is mostly determined by the number of coils in your alternator and the configuration of your coils.  Don't think because you have low wind you are limited to 12 volts.

Rex

« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 08:25:19 PM by alcul8r »

farmerfrank

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 10:42:28 AM »
Voltage has nothing to do with windspeed. Carefull thought as to blade design, magnet size and coil configuration all have to be taken into account as well as your average windspeed. This was all so confusing to me that I have all my coil terminations external so that I can play with the voltage and adjust it accordingly.

Have fun

« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 10:42:28 AM by farmerfrank »

OPEC BUSTER

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:15:31 AM »
What about putting a transformer at the base of the tower to double the voltage before it goes to the house. This would permit smaller wiring also. Would transformer losses be to great to make this practical?

Otis

« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:15:31 AM by OPEC BUSTER »

srnoth

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:59:53 PM »
Or you could just wire the stator for a higher voltage in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 09:59:53 PM by srnoth »