Author Topic: Newby Please help  (Read 999 times)

jorgesgs

Newby Please help
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:13:14 AM »
Hi and thanks for cheking. I need advice in deciding how to beging my first experience in building a wind turbine. Never done it before, never done anything in mechanics, need it working soon, its for my house were I need to have running tv, 3 lights, computer and fridge (Fridge must work 24hours a day). I am running on a small budget. Any ideas or recommendations??? I will truly apreciate your help guys.

Receive my best from a rural area south of Lima-Peru-South America.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 01:13:14 AM by (unknown) »

georgeodjungle

Re: Newby Please help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 01:07:55 AM »
get one made.ya have to wing it some times

you realy should be incline.

big danger you know?

maybe get some one that's done it.

2 smaller ones are better than one big one

do the math.

2,000 watts @ 120v is 20,000 @ 12v

the more batterys the better.

should get them at same time and type.

battery additive works.

the bigest baddist inverter you can get.may lose a lil, but runs cooler

and ya can run what ever.

that's about it.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 01:07:55 AM by georgeodjungle »

OPEC BUSTER

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 08:28:35 PM »
I suppose in Peru you live high in the mountains, probably a good windy area!

I also am a beginner at this. However I will give you my 2 cents worth. You need to calculate the wattage of all the TV, lights and other to get an idea of the size wind turbin you will need. You will need to do a lot of studing this site, check out windstuff ed He has a very informative site. I am doing my home work first because I want to get it right the first time.I'll let ed do the expermenting for me. At the present I am insulating and taking conservation measures which are more important

at the moment.I think I'm on the right path to energy independance!! Don't get discouraged WE CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN!

OTIS

« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 08:28:35 PM by OPEC BUSTER »

richhagen

Newby Please help
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 07:26:42 PM »
I don't consider myself to be an expert on this yet, but first off, I would read all the stuff on wind and solar listed on this site, and any other sources for that matter.  On a small budget and in a hurry to start, I'd probably first figure out where I would ultimately like to get to when the system is done.  If I envision ultimately powering my house all the time, I would likely opt for a higher voltage, such as 48V and start collecting parts to fit because of the smaller cable sizes required for the same power at higher voltages.  The first thing is conservation.  You can save power much more easily and cheaply than you can make the same amount of power.  Efficient lighting and appliances, the discipline of switching or unplugging things when not in use.  Next, I would get good batteries  suitable for future growth of my system.  If you can find a small motor, like a tape drive motor, that can output voltage in the range you need for your system at a couple hundred rpm or so, and in the range that you like, it might be a more simple starter project.  Then you can look at motor conversions and dual axle mills down the road to compliment the mill you will already have.  In time you will want to diversify your power input.  Successful systems I see usually have 3 or more methods of getting power into the batteries, for example, solar, wind, with a diesel backup for those times when it is dark and calm. The idea is to envision where you want to go, and obtain parts that can get you up and rolling now, but will still fit into your system in the future.  

A simple system might consist of good batteries, a diversion controller suitable for more power than you can generate, a dump load such as a heater to get rid of excess power to protect the batteries, A tape drive mill with suitable rectifiers and fusing, an inverter that can be used to power those AC loads in the local voltage and frequency ranges.  

As time and funding permit you can add a string or two of solar, and build a better mill.  You can add inverters, diversion controllers, and such to your system as you are able in the future.  I hope this helps some, Rich Hagen

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 07:26:42 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Nando

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 05:35:39 PM »
Como estas en el PERU, escribeme a mi correo electronico directamente para ayudarte mejor

Cambia -at- y -dot- por la arroba y el punto.

Saludos

Nando

nando37-at-comcast-dot-net

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 05:35:39 PM by Nando »