Author Topic: Dan F 's turbine  (Read 983 times)

windrules

Dan F 's turbine
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:37:38 AM »
Hi guys,

Dan F How is that single rotor of yours performing.I made a similar,but slightly smaller version and managed to scare the wind away totally.Wind power here at the moment has been below 2 mph for about a month,bar the occasional gust.Mine produces about 6 volts at 2 mph.Have seen 10 amps from a gust one day.

Regards,

Mos
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 12:37:38 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Dan F 's turbine
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 08:28:30 AM »
Should've posted an update on that.

Last week during quite strong winds (about 50mph) the blades flexed (probably while yawing but not sure) and hit the tower.  One snapped off at the root.

Doug Selsam had a similar problem.  Art has since beefed up this area of the blades so I expect it may be solved.

On DanF's, it wouldve been fine had we given a bit more clearance (tipped the alternator back even more)  -but these blades are very flexible.

Our next experiment is to stick a wooden set on there, itll be fun to compare its output.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 08:28:30 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

nothing to lose

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:30:35 AM »
 Sorry to hear about the broke blade.

When I was at Arts getting mine (still not flown them yet) there was some pretty good winds, no idea how fast though. Not much yawing, the wind seemed to be all from one direction mostly and those blades were really moving sometimes.

So how did they perform other that, they make good power on that mill then? Start up easy etc..? What is the opion of mill size now for those after flying them awhile?

Smaller mill, same size second rotor on, larger single rotor?

As I recall Arts mills I saw were geared up motors, ametecs maybe? Forget now though. They were nice and working, nicley built, but I thought they weren't enough load for the blades at the time. He did say winds were alot above average that day though for his area.

Nice people they are. Was nice meeting them, and I plan to go back over again after I get back from Canada.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 11:30:35 AM by nothing to lose »

windrules

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:02:56 PM »
Dan ,sorry to hear about the blades , how high did the output go before the broke and did it eventually furl out of the wind.

Regards,

Mos
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 06:02:56 PM by windrules »

deloiter

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 09:15:54 PM »
Dan,

I am in the process of completing a unit using Art's blades and your mags based on Hugh's design.  My tip-back angle is 5%, do you think that is enough?  This would be the time for any corrections.  I am also curious about the max output prior to catching the tower.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 09:15:54 PM by deloiter »