Author Topic: Will this motor work for a gen?  (Read 985 times)

andymc

Will this motor work for a gen?
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:51:59 PM »
Would a DC induction motor of the type used in metro trams and people mover systems be feasible for a wind powered generator?  Let me know what details are needed to determine if this would work out or not.  thanks, andy

Editors Note:

You might consider providing some nameplate and / or model info so you can get sensible feedback.
Otherwise it is a guessing game for those wishing to help.

Editor

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:51:59 PM by (unknown) »

kitno455

Re: Will this motor work for a gen?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:57:25 PM »
got a link to some info or some photos? i did not think there was any such thing as a DC induction motor...

allan

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:57:25 PM by kitno455 »

terry5732

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 03:02:01 PM »
No. It uses a pulsed DC sent by motor control cicuit. There is the possibility of adding permanent magnets to get some output but probably not good output.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 03:02:01 PM by terry5732 »

andymc

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:14:41 PM »
Well shoot.  I figured anything that could move a 15,000 pound cart full of passengers would be good for something.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 03:14:41 PM by andymc »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 05:13:03 PM »
"Well shoot.  I figured anything that could move a 15,000 pound cart full of passengers would be good for something."

It is. To refraise what you just said,  I figure anything that could move a 15,000 pound cart would be good for a cart full of passengers, he he ha ha :)

If you have the controlls ofr it also it might be good for an electric vehicle or something perhaps. If it is like an EFKA 3 phase DC motor I have it may work as a gennie?? My Efka works, I am told it's also is a pulse driven motor using a control board as I recall.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 05:13:03 PM by nothing to lose »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 10:00:50 PM »
The opposite of inductance is reluctance, you have a switched reluctance motor - they are usually extremely well implemented flux bottles. The flux generated by the current pulls the rotor poles into the position of minimal reluctance, attracting the rotor instead of repelling it. Due to reluctance acts as an attraction force, the only factors for motor control is the rotors relative position and amplitude of current, so it takes a control assembly to time it just right. Also a generator mode controller could be made that feeds short pulses to produce a field that gets amplified for generating output, but thats smart module stuff DIY'rs would be challanged by.

Getting a usable voltage out at low rpm can be a challange, adding neo magnets to the rotor will excite the fields but output is limited. I've got a diary on exploring simple mods on a variable reluctance motor - but I've stalled untill I can get an oscilloscope to see whats going on!

Pictures and data plate would be helpfull....

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:00:50 PM by DanG »

andymc

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 07:54:06 AM »
Sorry for the lack of detailed information...DFW Airport is auctioning off its old tram system and this was all the info available on the website.  If anybody is interested, see renebates.com and go to DFW airport auction site.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:54:06 AM by andymc »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:21:42 AM »
http://www.renebates.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?bates38/1

7 tons for whole tram - chop em up and eBay off the pieces? Might be worth considering if you were in DFW area...

"The vehicle's continuous rating d/c motor propulsion motor and automotive drive shaft to the differential remain in place."

Probably work better as hydroelectric stationary generator than wind generator...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 11:21:42 AM by DanG »