Author Topic: Small dual rotor gen.  (Read 1955 times)

Experimental

Small dual rotor gen.
« on: September 02, 2005, 06:50:23 PM »
       This is a small dual rotor design, that originally was single rotor, poorly designed, and cogged badly !!

Luckly, it was also designed for conversion to dual rotor and dragged out of hiding, to complete that transition!!

The rear rotor, is part of the hub, and the projection you see in the pics, is about 2" in diameter and fine threaded (18 per inch)  The front rotor, screws on to the hub, and adjustment is accomplished by turning, in or out -- giving .015" for each 1/4 turn, then two lock screws, drop into the notches you see in the projection, locking the rotor in place.

In my opinion, this was much to complex, for the average builder as it is all machined -- needing both a lathe and milling machine, but has turned out well, for a "one off" machine..

Stator, is 3/8" thick, #20 wire, 75 turns per coil, and 6 coils wired in star 3 phase. (thanks to Flux for tech support)

Rotors are 6-1/8" X 5/16" with groves machined to help hold mags in place, with 8 each --1" X 1-1/4" X 1/4" neos (grade 48) bonded in with Isothalic, resin.

This was so small, it was difficult to turn fast , by hand -- but I estimate an easy +12 volts at about 150rpm and saw 15 volts on faster spins!!

Once I get it up on a tower, I can get more useful info..

Rear rotor, threaded projection, and bearing adfusting nut..

3/8" thick stator plate in place, stainless hardware..

Front rotor in place, with aluminum prop adapter and unfinished, furling tail boom (and scratched up paint)

Rear view of assembly -- square tube was used for strength and weight savings--hope you enjoy the pics -- performance specs comeing soon, Bill H....

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:50:23 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Small dual rotor gen.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 01:14:21 PM »
Looks great! I love the 'small' stuff.

What kind of wire is that going down the mast?

G-

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:14:21 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Experimental

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »
     Hi Gurd,

Thats 16 gage, and still trying to decide if I want the diod tree, on the gen, or on the ground -- thinking of running 12 gage SO cord, up the mast to a box on the gen, and install the diods in a box on the tower base -- still in the thinking stages !!  Bill.....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:28:42 PM by Experimental »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 01:55:16 PM »
Hi Bill,

I would suggest something abrasion resistant around the wire in the pipe.

Maybe a layer of heatshrink or 2? Maybe over some layers of E-Tape?

It still looks great!

G-

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 01:55:16 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Experimental

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 06:23:14 PM »
          Hi Gurd,

Oh yeah, those wires are just stuck down the pipe to get them out of the way -- I was just working on an aluminum box, that will mount on the large square tube -- the stator wires, will go into the box and be attached to some #12 SO cord, and that will be clamped, then down the pole -- another box, at the base of the mast, will house the Diode tree !!   Decided to mount the diodes at the ground, so I can check heat sink, etc...

Have a good evening, and weekend, Bill H........
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:23:14 PM by Experimental »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 09:08:30 AM »
Yes that is real nice and should be an inspiration to those working on small machines.

It may be over engineered but with the small ones you may not have much choice, the car and trailer hubs take up too much room for the coils in the little ones.

looking forward to results.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 09:08:30 AM by Flux »

Experimental

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 09:27:52 AM »
      Thank you Flux,

This will eventually go down to my remote cabin, where it will suppliment my solar panel, as i only need one or two hundred watts..

I hope to get it up on the tower, to replace my Hornet, that is powering lights and water pump, in the wifes garden , for testing!!

Hope I can get that done before I have to leave on a trip !!

Soon, I will be building a large mill, 10 to 12', and that is to help on costs at home ..

Thanks again for the help, Bill H.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 09:27:52 AM by Experimental »

ZooT

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 02:14:35 PM »
I think it's "really" neat.grin

I like the idea of small machines that one can actually carry around and mount on something less sturdy and less expensive than the eiffel tower.....

The available resources of people vary greatly, and developing technology of an inclusive rather than exclusive nature allow that technology to spread much further and wider......and the very people that can least afford RE are those likely to benefit most from it's practical implementation.....

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 02:14:35 PM by ZooT »

Experimental

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 12:30:33 AM »
      Glad you like it Zoo,

I hope it will serve the purpose it was intended for !!

The next one will be 10 or 12', and hopefully reduce the riseing cost of energy at my home !!

The way things are going, there is going to be a lot of folks, takeing these forms of energy, much more seriously !!

Have fun building , and lets see your work !!  Bill H.......
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 12:30:33 AM by Experimental »

ZooT

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 05:08:29 PM »
I'm waiting for the magnets for one I've posted a couple pictures of elsewhere here....

Supposed to be in my hands come Tuesday....and then the fun begins L
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 05:08:29 PM by ZooT »

Experimental

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »
       I remember your spool set up Zoo -- also the reference to "disimilar metals",  and to that I will mention -- that,s all the more reason, to use stainless, as it does not react to disimilar metal !!

Your spools looked great, and you could adjust them with shims !!

Wishing you good luck, with that project -- is the next 10 or 12' ??

Bill H........
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 08:54:19 PM by Experimental »

drdongle

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 06:57:07 PM »
Looks good Bill. I finally got a chance to look at this as I was out of town for the holiday and my "puter" was giving me fits.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 06:57:07 PM by drdongle »