Author Topic: Scratches on Mags  (Read 1273 times)

steak2k1

Scratches on Mags
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »
Hello all:

During the build of my single rotor genny, I have scratched the Ni surface of the magnets. Is there a recomended product(s) that can be sprayed on to or painted on the surface of these to prevent corrosion.??

They do look worse than they are in the pic..! Next build will be in nasa style clean room..!! and mag rotor will not be laying around on the bench.

rgds,

stk

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:05:04 PM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: Scratches on Mags
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:21:57 PM »
Maybe grease, epoxy or urethane maybe, maybe rub a bar of wax over them. Just some easy ways to do it, but it will rub off easy or melt easy. ;-)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 12:21:57 PM by pyrocasto »

wdyasq

Epoxy
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 12:34:52 PM »
Use good epoxy, a layer of 6oz or so glass cloth, let cure till stiff, apply second coat of epoxy thick with brush, let cure completely sand lightly to remove high spots.

Look to sites where strip-plank canoes are built for more complete instruction.

Ron

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 12:34:52 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
Re: Epoxy
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 03:20:37 PM »
That's what I would do and then add a sheet of thin smooth hardboard while the reisn is wet and put steel on top.  Saw blades are good for this.  The magnets will pull it down and squeeze the resin out thin.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 03:20:37 PM by scoraigwind »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

wdyasq

Thanks Hugh
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 05:12:56 PM »
My mind went to vacuum laminating and all sorts of crazy stuff.  Polyethelyne will not stick to epoxy - a piece of it between the metal and the epoxy would make a good release agent.  I use old plastic garbage bags for this when I have them.

Ron

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 05:12:56 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

steak2k1

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:00:43 PM »
Great advice..!

Yea..why not use the magnets to suck down a pce of smooth material to thin out the resin.  I like that idea a lot..!! keeps the air gap as small as possible. that is just what I shall do.

I'm sure that is somewhere in your book(s) Hugh.  Been waiting a while and am anxious to read both.

Thanks guys,

stk

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 09:00:43 PM by steak2k1 »

BruceDownunder

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 11:42:31 PM »
I actually had a couple of "high" spots on mine. I very carefully dremmelled the high spots with a stone wheel (boy, do those things burn), keeping an eye on the heat build up and finally did the job --no apparent loss of mag pull. Went around at random trying the pull factor and the ground ones were fine . The hard part is removing the residue from the grinding --very fine dust - anyhow a rag got 90% off .

Now ,then I used ordinary house varnish to coat the surfaces and all seems good so far .

Brucedownunder

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 11:42:31 PM by BruceDownunder »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 07:57:22 AM »
Use duct or gaffers tape to get 99.5% of filings, shavings, dust off neos, but note it's especially good at finding and peeling the coating off damaged spots from mishandling (which is a good thing)... It's almost as satisfying as popping bubblewrap!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 07:57:22 AM by DanG »

steak2k1

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 04:32:57 PM »
Now theres a cpl of good tips as well...just good ole pain common camping sense.  If all else fails Use Duct tape.  God wish I had invented that stuff..!!  LOL

Anyway, just mixed up a small batch of slow setting resin and after cleaning the mags and previous resin pour, I simply used a new cheap throw away paint brush and applied sparingly...seemed to do the trick.  Pretty sure the added thickness is not going to make a huge difference.

thanx to all..

One of these days gonna get this thing up and flying yet.  or maybe it'll rain here so much, I'll make a small micr0-hydro instead.!

rgds,

stk

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 04:32:57 PM by steak2k1 »