Author Topic: Help with 17foot 3KW wind turbine Project  (Read 986 times)

clone477

Help with 17foot 3KW wind turbine Project
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:09:05 PM »
Hey everyone.  

I want to build the wind turbine on the front page but needed some help with building the blades.  This will be my first set of blades I ever made and dont really understand the termanolagy.  I under stand that the wings are 6" wide at the tip and 14" at the root.  I dont understand the pitch part and the airfoil part.  Can some on explain this better with maybe some pics??  I would just like to replicate these blades identically.  Thank for any help.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 11:09:05 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Help with 17foot 3KW wind turbine Project
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 05:20:18 PM »
Firstly I recommend that if you have never built any wind powered equipment, that you buy Hugh Piggots plans from the sister site( otherpower) and build a smaller machine first. Get some experience then work up the the monster 17" machine.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 05:20:18 PM by drdongle »

seanchan00

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 06:43:16 PM »
Go to Hugh's site and you will realise his book is well worth your investment if you wish to takle a biggie like a 17 footer generating 3 KW. I found in my initial stages blades are the smallest of your problems. I made a 8 footer with no help form the board but the electrical and control parts of the art of optimum wind power generation takes a lot more out of your effort. The Pics showed a 2 footer being carved and it is very easy to understand.

It has taken me almost 3 months since I started and I am laying my foundation to the 54 foot tower today. As you read along the way of your project you will change direction as your learning curve sharpens as mine did.

Have Fun, and never give up.

Guys on the board are very helpful and when your questions are left unanswered it is usually because the info is easily available for you to read esp by Google search. Surprisingly the search engine of otherpower board is not very easy to find your info.

SeanChan.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:43:16 PM by seanchan00 »

Cinosh07

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 07:36:38 PM »
Hello,

I agree with others.

Buy the book, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, all the theory to understand everythings first.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 07:36:38 PM by Cinosh07 »

Shadow

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 10:35:48 PM »
Yes, start smaller and work your way up to 17 foot. If you start that big of a project and it dosent work out, you may get frustrated and end up giving up. Theres alot of satisfaction that comes with completing one that works.Not to mention the cost of your mistakes wont set you back so much.After you get some experience, then the sky's the limit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:35:48 PM by Shadow »

clone477

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 11:01:19 PM »
Ive actually already have both the stator and both rotors wired and molded with the resin, and it went real smoothly.  And the frame is done also, I just needed help with the blades, I have done some brief reading from some books at the liabary, and a ton of reading onn the net.  Thank for any info guys, Im on the last step.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 11:01:19 PM by clone477 »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 06:15:37 AM »
    Hoping you have the wind necessary in your

area and location to drive your alternator....

Remember even NASA built small rockets first!

Have Fun and Good luck !

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 06:15:37 AM by Norm »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 06:49:19 AM »
The blades are really just a scaled up version of what we describe on this page:

http://www.otherpower.com/blades.html

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 06:49:19 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 08:52:15 AM »
Pitch is the angle of the blades with respect to an imaginary flat disk cut up into blades.

In an efficient blade the pitch varies, being large near the hub, small at the tip.  This is because the direction and speed of the wind as experienced by the blade is different at different radii.  Like a sailboat, an airplane wing, or a propellor, the blades "sail in the apparent wind" - which is the combination (vector sum) of the actual wind with the wind from their own motion.  Near the hub they experience mostly the real wind, running nearly parallel to the axis and moving rather slowly.  Out near the tips they experience several times the windspeed from their motion as they do from the actual wind, with the combination much stronger and coming nearly from the side.

Because the wind is slower near the hub you need a wider blade there to be as efficient.  (This also helps with blade strength - blades must be strong near the hub due to leverage.)  But most of the power to be had is out near the tip, so designs often don't bother to taper as much as would be optimum, or quit fattening for the innermost part of the blade (where you'd be using an enormous amount of wood to collect a tiny bit of extra power).

Your plans will have the angles, shapes, and sizes.

The airfoil shape is partly to reduce drag but mainly to provide lift, just as with an airplane wing or propellor.  In a turbine, the purpose of the lift is to pull the blade around while slowing the wind down.  So the lift is angled to pull the blade both toward the downwind side and around the circle, while sucking the air behind the balde back in the upwind direction.  If you don't use an airfoil shape your blade depends entirely on an "airscrew" effect (a "drag-type" turbine).  Without the lift pulling the blades around you get much less torque and thus much less power.

A wind turbine may LOOK like a propellor.  But if you look closely you'll see that the hump of the blades is on the back, rather than the front.  This is because a propellor's job is to pull the air backward and the propellor forward, so the lift needs to be on the frontside, sucking the air to the rear and the blade forward.  But a turbine's job is to spin itself by slowing the air, so the lift is on the back side, sucking the air back in the direction it came while pulling the blades both to the rear and around.

Does this help clear things up?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 08:52:15 AM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

finnsawyer

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:15:52 AM »
"Because the wind is slower near the hub you need a wider blade there to be as efficient."

I'd like to take issue with this statement.  A given airfoil experiences both lift and drag.  Both increase with the width of the airfoil.  The lift coefficient increases linearly with the angle of attack over about a 12 degree range.  The drag coefficient changes very little over the same range.  To minimize drag you want as narrow a blade as possible.  You can accomplish this by using as large an angle of attack as possible by the root.  In fact, an efficient blade can be designed with no taper at all.  So, why don't people using this site do this?  I believe the answer is economic.  It's less expensive and time consuming to use a 2x6 than a 4x6 or a 6x6.  On the other hand, using a constant width opens up the possibility of automating the process using wood shaping equipment.  Some people may wish to explore this possibility and they should be made aware of it.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 09:15:52 AM by finnsawyer »